Junes Challenge

Discussion in 'Survival and Wilderness Skills' started by Strigidae, May 31, 2018.

1. Kaw-liga

Kaw-liga Member

I'm fairly pedestrian, a big +1 for Life Straw. I really would like a Katadyn unit though. A couple of you guys have posted some stuff that I have never seen or given thought to, [mind = blown]. I'm sandwiched between the largest blackwater swamp in North America and the Atlantic coast. Like @anrkst6973 I can't go in any direction without stepping in water, whether I like it or not. I recently decided to pack a portable stove in case I need to boil some off. So far it just makes coffee :oops:.
    IMG_20180607_134404941_LL~2.jpg

Bobsdock, Strigidae, Stone and 2 others like this.
  2. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

Coffee is good. I admit my addiction to the brown go juice. :). My question in getting you back here is this, You carry the life straw, have you actually tried it or one like it out? I've seen them and thought it's a great concept but based on my experience I don't see how it would survive. That is to say I don't think I could get a full quart thru it before failure (100% clogged) Is it back flushable? I understand it's an emergency use item, but under high heat, humidity, and duress of the situation,...more than a quart of potable water is a nessessity. More so if the situation last more than 24 hours. Just thinking.

Stone and Kaw-liga like this.
  3. Kaw-liga

Kaw-liga Member

I agree 100%. I bought a multi pack and gave one to a buddy and tinkered with another by adding dirt and sand to my 1 qt. canteen, and stashed my last one for an emergency. It's something for a pinch but not a plausible long-term solution.

Stone likes this.
  4. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Post as many pictures as you all want.

Kaw-liga likes this.
  5. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

It came a flood here yesterday, with even a half decent collection system I could have filled 1/2 a dozen 55 gal drums. At 2 gallons per day for cooking/drinking water I would have nearly half a years supply of water! In a single afternoon. Preparation for the event, and proper storage and treatment options would be the key.

Stone and Kaw-liga like this.
  6. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

From the ESEE Idaho Bushcraft Class this weekend. There's a lot more water here than I'm used to. lol IMG_3849.JPG

7. Klynesquatch

Klynesquatch Member

I bought a Steri pen last summer and couldn't be happier with it. It's a great lightweight option if you have clear water
    CJK_4729.jpg

I'm fortunate enough that by the time I get into the woods the water is always this clear. Most of my life I have never filtered my water at all, and have never gotten sick. Beaver fever is still a potential problem but we are truly blessed in western Canada
    CJK_4791.jpg

Back into the pack...
    CJK_4807.jpg

But my favorite way to get water.... Is in it!
    20180613_205754.jpg

Bobsdock, Stone, Strigidae and 4 others like this.
  8. Strigidae

Meant to take pictures of my water kit and got busy. I really like to use source water bladders and nalgene bottles. Always have a mors pot or smaller with me as well for boiling. In addition ill carry coffee filters, mosquito netting, iodine tabs and a sawyer squeeze filter. Most times ill have an extra platypus bladder too for clean water. As you can tell when i camp im not usually around water and have to carry a lot to make do. There is an inline water filter made by msr for the source bladders if anyone is interested. Not used it yet but i keep it handy as a back up.

9. Charlie Delta

Charlie Delta Member

MSR hyperflow with gravity kit and a MSR dromedary bladder.
    20180608_123037.jpg 20180608_123026.jpg

Bobsdock, Stone, Strigidae and 3 others like this.
  10. Strigidae

Does anyone use anything out of the ordinary or have any good or bad stories about their gear?

Kaw-liga likes this.
  11. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

I've been curious about the Sawyer filters, using mild pressure to force the water thru...have you ( or anyone else) used them? I'd like to find a viable option to carrying the large pumps all the time.

Kaw-liga likes this.
  12. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

I need to get pictures of it but I use a Sawyer squeeze with the hose attachements between 2 platypus bladders as a gravity filter, works pretty good but it’s the first gravity system I’ve used. Previously I was using a MSR Sweetwater, has been with me since I was 19 and haven’t had any issue with it at all.

Kaw-liga likes this.
  13. Hammer

Hammer Member

I first bought a Sawyer Mini several years ago, and then a Squeeze. The Squeeze is now my go-to filter, with a much faster flow rate than the Mini. It's a little larger and slightly heavier, but still very compact and lightweight, and definitely worth it. My Mini is now relegated to 'backup' status.

14. Strigidae

Ive heard they can clog with heavy nasty water use but ive not had any issues with good running water. Im happy with mine this far. My only concern is keeping it from freezing as apparently it will affect the filter. Maybe they are all that way.

Kaw-liga, anrkst6973 and mtngoat like this.
  15. Hammer

Hammer Member

True, but so will most other filters if you run heavy nasty water through them as well. Both the Squeeze and the Mini come with a back-flush pump included for cleaning. It's a good idea to do this regularly after each trip, only takes a minute, and keeps them running well in my experience.

Neither would probably be my choice if I was going to the Amazon for a month (though they are so light and simple I would consider bringing one as a backup), but for the money, I don't think they can be beat as long as you're not subjecting them to really nasty use on a regular, extended basis.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    Kaw-liga, Strigidae and mtngoat like this.
  16. Strigidae

Ever froze one hammer?

17. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

I froze my MSR but not a Sawyer.

Not Sure and Strigidae like this.
  18. Klynesquatch

Klynesquatch Member

Here's what I use to boil my water...
    CJK_5202.jpg
    CJK_5248.jpg
    CJK_5258.jpg

I ditched the plastic tab that comes on the bail in favor of a split ring. I think there was a pretty small chance of the tab ever failing but the ring is a bit more versatile anyway
    CJK_5213.jpg

Bobsdock, STPNWLF, Kaw-liga and 4 others like this.
  19. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

I love those Stanley pots, I have one of the slopped SS Nalgene bottles, it fits inside the pot and a SS cup fits the outside.

Kaw-liga and Klynesquatch like this.
  20. Klynesquatch

Klynesquatch Member

For the price I don't think there is a better single system out there. They are very tough and I find the plastic cups very handy

Kaw-liga and mtngoat like this.