Friction Fire Trick for The Southwest

Discussion in 'Survival and Wilderness Skills' started by Caleb O, May 24, 2018.

1. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

Was messing around with bow drill the other day (I usually do hand drill but wanted to practice something different). I am constantly trying out different materials to see what I can make work for my area. For the bow drill set I did a bear grass spindle on a sotol stalk hearth board. Now sotol stalk is VERY soft. Really more of a hard pith than a soft wood, but I figured I'd give it a try. Well it worked, but the really cool thing happened afterwards. There was quite a lot of wind that day. I left my ember in the notch to snap a pic and after i noticed my hearth board had essentially turned into a coal extender. IMG_3508.JPG IMG_3510.JPG IMG_3512.JPG IMG_3514.JPG The next day I was curious if I could replicate the results I had with the sotol stalk hearth board while doing hand drill. I achieved the ember easily, and as there was no wind that day, leaving the ember in the notch I knelt down and gently blew on the ember. The results were duplicated! So, sotol is not only a decent hearth board for those in the Southwest, but you can easily use it as a coal extender if your tinder happens to be marginal. Southwest Friction Fire Tip! Have fun guys! IMG_3518.JPG IMG_3520.JPG IMG_3521.JPG

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  2. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

Also curious if the stalk's outer layer keeps the pith dry during rain....if it does this would make a really big difference in achieving a coal and fire after the monsoon. I'll have to wait to figure that one out though. lol

HelRaiser and mtngoat like this.
  3. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Very cool

Caleb O likes this.
  4. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

Thanks! I was a bit surprised when it happened that first time. Didn't even think I would get a coal before I started drilling either (due to how soft the material is). But am really pleased I gave it a go now.

shaneadams90 likes this.
  5. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

Man that SouthWest climate can make a man feel good about himself when it comes to fire....back home and 85% humidity today and I think it would have taken a Zippo and 1/2 gallon of diesel !!

mtngoat, HelRaiser and Caleb O like this.
  6. Mudman

Mudman Member

Very neat!

Caleb O likes this.
  7. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

mix some old gas into that diesel and you have BC Logger Slash Pile firestarter! ;)

HelRaiser, shaneadams90 and Caleb O like this.
  8. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

Feel like we're get a bit spoiled out here between dry climate and good materials. lol

9. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Yea but the heat though... you can keep that lol we have some agave plants might try this

Caleb O likes this.
  10. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

Haha! You kinda get used to it when your out in it everyday. No humidity though.

BlueDogScout likes this.
  11. SEMO

SEMO Member

Southeast MO, Mississippi River Bottom flatland
    I have never experienced camping in the SW until this week. I have never experienced static electricity in a sleeping bag, at night.
    It is a light show!

No humidity makes quite a difference in fire starting.

shaneadams90, mtngoat and Caleb O like this.
  12. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Priceless information!!

Caleb O and mtngoat like this.
  13. R Stowe

R Stowe Moderator Staff Member

That's really cool. The humidity definitely makes a difference, but as you noted that maybe a great option in the rare case of heavy rain.

Caleb O likes this.
  14. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

Just testing out another material from the Southwest. Beargrass stalk works really well for friction fire as well. Also it is a very pithy wood. Was able to duplicate the coal extender results on this hearth as well. So another material can be added to this post. Beargrass. IMG_3658.JPG IMG_3659.JPG

Klynesquatch and SEMO like this.