Places on Earth where you probably shouldn't build a house

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stone, May 8, 2018.

1. Bruno_GO

Bruno_GO Member

Rio de Janeiro/Brazil. Chaos and violence.

Stone and Bushman5 like this.
  2. Stone

Stone Member

This just in ...

May 17 (Reuters) - An explosive eruption sent ash spewing out 30,000 feet (9,144 meters) into the air above Hawaii's Kilauea volcano on Thursday and residents of the Big Island were warned to shelter in place as the plume engulfed a wide area, authorities said.

Strigidae likes this.
  3. evilunclegrimace

evilunclegrimace Member

Steer clear of the Favela's and you might not have an issue

4. ArguableLobster

ArguableLobster Member

Florida, the entirety of Australia.

Hammer likes this.
  5. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Hahahahaha

Stone likes this.
  6. Stone

Stone Member

For sure, Florida -- all of it is going under eventually -- and I won't miss it after living there for four months in winter, 2015 -- 90's F in Dec with chiggers and mosquitoes? No thank you. :confused:

But I haven't been to Aussieland, so can't say about it. But anywhere that has so many poisonous animals ...

I dunno, I think I'm still heading north ... as far N in Scotland as I can go.

The Scottish highlands look promising, and if all else fails, I'll take the Orkney's.

Or maybe the Outer Hebrides.

[​IMG]

Hammer and koolaidnd like this.
  7. Stone

Stone Member

This just in ...

"Laze is when hot lava hits the ocean sending
    hydrochloric acid and steam with fine glass particles in the air,"
    the Hawaii County Civil Defense agency said in an update to the public.​

Bushman5 likes this.
  8. Stone

Stone Member

And if you're a wallaby, don't build in this city! :eek:

9. evilunclegrimace

evilunclegrimace Member

Some one forgot to Tie his Wallaby down Sport.

10. Stone

Stone Member

11. Stone

Stone Member

Update on Hawaii. The lava flows are continuing at "six football fields per hour".

"And the crisis continues. Lava has already overrun the main road, Highway 132, leaving people in about 500 homes and vacation rentals with just one escape route left. If the flows cross highway 137 there would be no way out."​

Hmm. Seems like a good time to move onto a boat.

12. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

Why would you stay??

13. Stone

Stone Member

I certainly would not. But then again, I wouldn't have moved there in the first place.

14. Stone

Stone Member

15. Stone

Stone Member

Add anywhere near the ring of fire around the Pacific, especially places like western CA, OR and WA (Seattle). Here are several good reasons.
    ________

When a catastrophic earthquake hits California, buildings will topple and potentially hundreds could be killed.

But what gets less attention is the wrenching aftermath of such a huge temblor, which could leave whole neighborhoods torched by fires uninhabitable and hundreds of thousands of people without a home.

In the San Francisco Bay Area, more than 400,000 could be displaced in a magnitude 7 earthquake on the Hayward fault, which directly runs underneath cities like Berkeley, Oakland, Hayward and Fremont, said Ken Hudnut, the U.S. Geological Survey’s science advisor for risk reduction. And it’s possible that more than 250,000 people in Southern California could be forced out of their homes after a major earthquake on the San Andreas fault, Hudnut said.

<snip>

The exercise [in refuge assistance in AZ] was aimed at beginning to think about how to deal with such a refugee crisis, though experts in California said it’s unlikely that many people would end up in Arizona. It may actually be quite difficult to leave California after an earthquake moves one side of the San Andreas past the other by as much as 30 feet — severing routes to Phoenix on Interstate 10 in the Coachella Valley and Las Vegas on Interstate 15 at the Cajon Pass.
    ________​

This is literally one of only a few reasons that I no longer live in or near Portland OR but in Maine, instead, which is geologically quite stable, thank you very much. (So is my next destination, which also has no active volcanoes, not enough trees for massive forest fires, no serious tornadoes, and hurricanes are rare ... at least for now.

16. Stone

Stone Member

And watch out for those pyroclastic flows, so much more deadly than the lava in Hawaii.

You can crawl faster than the Hawaii lava, but you'd need a jet to outrun a pyro-flow.

Bushman5 likes this.
  17. Stone

Stone Member

June 19, 2018. Update on Hawaii volcanic events.

No words from me other than 'wow'.
    _____

The Kilauea volcano is about to enter its seventh week of wreaking havoc on Big Island, with hundreds of homes destroyed as lava continues to spew out giant cracks in the ground.

The volcano, which has been in an eruptive cycle since 1983, turned explosive on May 3 - gushing molten lava and sending huge smoke and ash plumes into the air.

Fissure 8, named as it was the eighth of the 25 which opened up following the eruption, has proven the most active and continues to fountain lava 160ft (50 metres) into the air.

As you can see from the USGS map below, the lava delta has redesigned the map, filling in the area previously known as Kapoho Bay.

The USGS said the “well-established” channel of lava from Fissure 8 is open all the way to the ocean, forming a river of lava which is snaking across the island.

Fissure 8 is creating this free-flowing river as the lava feeding it is coming from deeper within the volcano.

The lava we saw earlier was more viscous due to being present in the shallower parts of the volcano for decades.

18. Stone

Stone Member

OK, here's another place I don't even want to visit, let alone build a house.

Anywhere there are 30', 90 lb pythons. No thankee. Nope. I pass.

"Forest ranger almost strangled to death by python while posing for a selfie with it"

[​IMG]

19. IW17

IW17 Member

Stories like the one above are what make me hate the "news" even more. That snake is neither 30' or 90 lbs. Despite common stated "facts" no living species of snake has hit the 30' mark. To the best of my knowledge the longest confirmed was a reticulated python at 25'. And assuming that snake was 30', it would weigh in the neighborhood of +/-400lbs. Don't get me wrong, this is still a large constrictor he's pictured with. But it would take literally minutes for the journalist to research this and have an accurate report.

Sorry for derailing @Stone. Rant over.

Strigidae likes this.
  20. Stone

Stone Member

Not a derail at all. I'm fine with fact checking. I'm a biologist, after all, and insist on accuracy.

A search revealed this opinion -- that seems to match the photo (unless those guys are all just kids made up to look like adults) that the largest python on record is 26' (8 m) but weighed 250 kg. Do the math on the weight.

So, they come shorter than 30' but heavier than 90 lb, reportedly. I'm no expert.

So, let me revise my original statement. I don't want to live in places where the snakes are larger than western diamond backs -- meanest, mofo snakes I ever walked among -- and just as deadly in the end. :)

IW17 likes this.