Backyard illumination

Discussion in 'DIY (Do It Yourself)' started by Meagann, May 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meagann

Meagann Banned

I'm a bit unaware of this question myself so if you don't mind I'll ask here:p:p:p

It goes about illumination as I want somehow reorganize and decorate my yard. I'm looking for an option that would be weather resistant and with no bugs as well(don't want to find lights blinking in a month or so). I was also thinking of solar lights, their pros seem evident though have some second thoughts. What do you think? Can you clarify the best option for my case?

thnx in advance

2. Meagann

Meagann Banned

3. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

Let's better define what you want to do. How big is the area? Could you run power to it or does it need to be independent? Do you want accent/mood lighting or actual lumens that you could do work with? Those little solar path lights do work, but don't put out enough lumens for say, a patio party, not by themselves.
    I use 2 types, #1 looks like outdoor Christamas lights but they are white led. Up to 4 strands(9 bulbs each) can be hooked end to end. They put off a decent amount of light and are generally weather resistant.
    #2 is an led light bar. These are just like the ones you see on jeeps and such. Very bright, like causes you to squint if you look directly at it. Mine are zip tied to 1x4 boards and are used to light up the area if I need to, say process a game animal after dark out there.

Zeek likes this.
  4. Zeek

Zeek Member

Meagann likes this.
  5. Meagann

Meagann Banned

[QU
    OTE="anrkst6973, post: 130296, member: 67"]Let's better define what you want to do. How big is the area? Could you run power to it or does it need to be independent? Do you want accent/mood lighting or actual lumens that you could do work with? Those little solar path lights do work, but don't put out enough lumens for say, a patio party, not by themselves.
    I use 2 types, #1 looks like outdoor Christamas lights but they are white led. Up to 4 strands(9 bulbs each) can be hooked end to end. They put off a decent amount of light and are generally weather resistant.
    #2 is an led light bar. These are just like the ones you see on jeeps and such. Very bright, like causes you to squint if you look directly at it. Mine are zip tied to 1x4 boards and are used to light up the area if I need to, say process a game animal after dark out there.[/QUOTE]

good questions

1) area of about 3 acres
    2) both can be implied although independent is more preferable
    3) enough bright for working in the evening as well

can you pin any photo of the yard? interesting how exactly it looks

6. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

True that. A 2 led Petzl headlamp is putting off 200 lumens. Think what that looks like in a darkened area.

Zeek likes this.
  7. Meagann

Meagann Banned

in imagination, it looks cool unless I'm not imagining wrongly :rolleyes:

8. Mountainmistwanderer

Mountainmistwanderer Member

One thing a buddy has is a green (laser?) light that shoots upwards to the trees around his yard. Each light puts out multiple (a lot of them) mini beams which looks seriously awesome at night especially when the stars are out.

Zeek likes this.
  9. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Disclaimer: NOT my photos. It was somewhat difficult to find "example" pics of lights at night. They tell you it's output, but that gives you no idea how much light that actually is after dark! Arrrg! The first photo is approximately what the light strings give you. You could have a nice get together and see without the light being overpowering.
    The light bar I have is similar to second pic. Lowes or Home Depot, some are weatherproof.
    3rd pic is what I want when using sharp tools after dark. :) I use 3 placed at a angle and above where I'm at. No shadows or blind spots is what I'm going for.

Zeek likes this.
  10. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

.....good morning and welcome to our small corner of the internet :D

It is always a great idea for new member to drop into the Introductions thread..

http://eseeknives.com/forums/index.php?threads/introduce-yourself.2846/

...and tell us a little about yourself and your interests in the outdoors and general themes that run through our group.

Cheers

Andy

mtngoat, Zeek and Strigidae like this.
  11. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

"Me Again"

Last time it was cheap colorful knives, this time its moon lights......

I like eating Spam, you like to Spam Spam, we dont like the flavor of your Spam, so its off to the garbage can.....

Zeek likes this.
  12. Zeek

Zeek Member

Oh boy... I love this game. :D

13. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

There is something useful in this for all of us I suspect... :D

Strigidae likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.