Esee Advanced Fire Kit (with extension tube)

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Bushman5, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Picked this kit up from @Begungrain7 (thanks man!) . I'm sure a lot of you already have one of these, but I haven't seen many pics or reviews up yet.

Its a lot bigger than it looks in photos.......i expected it to be the same size as the regular Esee firekit.....(diameter).

this thing is a beast. My largest firesteel kit (Sam Wilson) < <<< (and that kit is a BEAST!) is smaller than the Esee Advanced FireKit.

[​IMG]

fiure steel is same size (3/8") and length as the regular Esee firekit

[​IMG]

includes the little compass.....can be stored inside or outside of the Advanced firekit

[​IMG]

where this kit really shines is the sheer amount of storage space. I can get 6 or so PCJB tinders into the Regular fire kit, and 32+ PJCB tinders in the Advanced Fire Kit. (even with the ferro rod INSIDE)

[​IMG]

fire steel removed

[​IMG]

every PJCB in that steel tin, is inside the Advanced Firekit

[​IMG]

makes for a very compact package and frees up a ton of room in the fire pouch (Hidden Woodsmen). I added a couple of O-Rings for grip during wet weather.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

ready for action

[​IMG]

love this thing. 10/10

:cool:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  2. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

Looks good. I have the advanced fire kit but haven’t picked up the extension tube.

Bushman5 likes this.
  3. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

^ hahaha, you had a chance to pilfer mine....LOL...........

4. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

Steal it? Never.

I have a very strong death to thieves mentality. Never steal a man’s tools or truck. Ever.

Willow, STPNWLF and Bushman5 like this.
  5. Begungrain7

Begungrain7 Member

Or whisky.

Bushman5 likes this.
  6. Lostviking

Lostviking Member

Great Review!
    Hadn’t seen these before.

Just ordered one.
    Advanced Fire Kit with extension tube.
    I like the idea of solid waterproof construction.

Looks like there is enough room in there to fit a small piece of hacksaw blade for scraping. Making it a stan alone fire tool. Certainly not cheap. But if you purchased a quality ferro rod, a quality small compass, and the associated quality waterproof container. It doesn’t seem too out of line.

I love Altoids tins. But this takes it further. The steel is protected from moisture. As is your tinder. The compass is a nice addition.

I’m putting together a small “Last Resort Ditch Kit” I think this will fit well into that system. I have a bag, I have a knife, this will be the fire piece of the puzzle.

I’m thinking perhaps a 5x7 Sil-nylon tarp, and some other small goodies. Something between a daypack and an Altoids tin. Enough to warm, protect, illuminate, & hydrate. More on that as it progresses.

7. Lostviking

Lostviking Member

Mine showed this week. Very cool.

For starters, I filled it half with shaved fatwood, and half with fluffed jute twine.

I may add a small piece of hacksaw blade, or maybe even a dedicated striker.

Also, I think perhaps four or five strike anywhere matches might be handy.
    maybe even a couple of those trick Birthday Candles that don’t blow out.
    They can be real handy, even on the leeward side a windy ridge.

Overall a very interesting piece of kit.
    I’m quite pleased.

8. Lostviking

Lostviking Member

Just an update.

With this thing filled from middle working towards both ends. one side with shaved fatwood, one side with fluffed jute twine, there are a lot of fire starts readily available.

I toy with adding other items, but the truth is, this combo works so well, I'm not sure I will. Add in the compass and the ferro rod and this tool just plain rocks. dry, secure, quiet, and easily stowable.

So far with both ends lightly packed I have managed 7 one strike fires in a row. That was with out much effort at all.

Obviously, you have to do your part with tinder and kindling. but still that is an impressive amount of comfort all contained in a little tube.

I think eventually, I will wrap the outside of the tube sections with waxed jute for extra firepower. But as of now I am more that pleased with this thing.

LV,