SAK lovers pt.2

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by elgatoloco, Sep 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

LOL @elgatoloco I'll keep you in mind buddy!!!!!;)

2. ThreeRidges

ThreeRidges Member

I'm torn between the Walker or an Alox Bantam,which is super thin. This ovule be my town/work EDC, so the saw may be overkill. The Walker looks great for an ultralight woods tool, though.

3. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

CUSTOM BUILT VICTORINOX HARVESTER WITH TITANIUM SCALES

This was custom built by eBay seller Roland-KT out of Oregon. This thing is amazing, my first custom SAK!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Outlander

Outlander Member

Wow!!!!!

I'm drooling over here. That is an incredible SAK, Gary. Congrats!

Great selection of tools.

Kyle

GaryMc likes this.
  5. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

@Outlander Thank you Sir!!!! I love harvesters and was amazed when I saw he finally did one so snatched it up quickly. Have a feeling this will be in my pocket a lot.

6. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

Gary, curious--what makes you like the Harvester over the Farmer? the pruning blade over the can opener, I think is the question, since all other blades are the same, right?

GaryMc likes this.
  7. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

@Expat That little pruning blade is the most used knife blade of anything I own. Perfect for opening packages LOL, perfect for cutting down boxes, perfect for pruning small plants when you don't want to go look for something else, perfect for cutting hoses when repairing your lawn hose or a car hose or anything rubber where you need a leading edge, etc etc etc, the list just goes on and on. I just find it to be the perfect utility blade over anything else.

I used to keep Stanley & also Bosch slide out razor blade knives and hawk bills around for much the same purposes, would end up misplacing them but I always put the SAK back in my pocket something I couldn't necessarily do with those knives so I'd end up hunting them every time I needed one, trying to figure out where I left them, I never have to hunt a SAK, it's just always in my pocket. So pruning blade gets used really often. The bottle opener with screw driver both get use fairly regularly. The large blade is great for many purpose like opening letters or cutting up food for a meal or to fix a fruity cocktail so it gets used. I use the awl specifically to empty my butane lighters when they are low so I can insure a good refill several times a week. But the can opener on my Farmers rarely ever got used. In an emergency I might like to have one but have other can openers in my survival kits. On a daily, weekly, even monthly basis I just don't use the can opener but the pruning blade gets used multiple times every single day.

When I found the first silver Harvester I got I was hooked and haven't bought another Farmer since. What always amazed me was everyone always wants a Farmer but I guess my question for everyone else is really how often do you use that can opener in daily life?

8. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

@Expat

VICTORINOX ALOX HARVESTER COLLECTION

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  9. ThreeRidges

ThreeRidges Member

That's why I'm a fan of that combination blade that is both a bottle and can opener, like on the Bantam and Walker/Lumberjack. That should just go on everything.

image.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    Zeitgeist and GaryMc like this.
  10. elgatoloco

elgatoloco Member

pruning blade is good for opening MRE's and also making tiny punctures in your sasuage....so that fat can escape easily and it won't explode. The only annoying thing about Harvester is the fact that there's no way to attach a lanyard or something...

Reposting from old forums / Source 0-999 Design classics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GaryMc likes this.
  11. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

@ThreeRidges Haven't tried one but that does look like a better option to replace their regular bottle opener as well.

12. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

@elgatoloco 4 of my 10 ALOX Harvesters have the split ring to attach a lanyard, unfortunately they are the 4 most expensive ones. Agree would be nice if it were just standard on that model. I really like the charts.

13. Expat

@GaryMc , thanks for the thought out answer. I actually find myself using my can opener from time to time. I've even used it in the kitchen when I have some high dollar Pampered Chef one nearby.

I used it in college on a Pioneer almost daily. I think that's where I developed such an affinity for it as well as a talent of using it.

I can see the use of that curved blade, but that's the temptation with SAK's---"oh yeah, I'd like that tool too" and before long, you've got a Swiss Champ you never carry :) So I stick with the Pioneer or my new Farmer (arrived today!!), since I like the can opener and I like the smaller flathead on the end of it.

GaryMc likes this.
  14. 91bravo

91bravo Guest

I like the can opener on mine too. I can always use the main blade if I have to cut something. I also like that the Farmer has a keyring as well!

GaryMc likes this.
  15. Expat

BOOM.

[​IMG]

Zeek, elgatoloco and GaryMc like this.
  16. Outlander

Outlander Member

The
    The smaller flathead can be used as a Phillips screwdriver in a pinch too.

GaryMc likes this.
  17. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

That's the key @Expat there's one out there for everybody, hard part is figuring out what fits your life. And if you can't find it there's now the pricey custom route where you can have just about any option your heart desires and your wallet will allow. My actual favorite is the Victorinox Picnicker which hasn't been made in over 30 years. Here's one, notice pruning blade and can opener. This one is still thin enough that it will be great, just waiting on a set of titanium scales and then it will be my ultimate SAK.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Datilite likes this.
  18. Expat

Where can you have one custom made?

GaryMc likes this.
  19. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

Oh cool love the color and the new handkerchief!!!!!!

20. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

The one I got today was from a guy out of Oregon, Roland-KT on ebay, but I don't know how to contact him direct. He usually builds what he likes and puts them on ebay with titanium scales, they get snapped up quickly. There's also several guys on Instagram that build what you want to your specs if they can, I think one is syph007 who is on another forum I post on but I'll have to check that name, dude stays backlogged trying to get them out. He does amazing work. I'll see if I can get some names, sites, and URL's. There's also a guy in Poland who does custom titanium scales for SAKs but I think he just stopped as he's branching into other knives. His name is Andrjez Woronoski goes by Woro_Knives on instagram, guy does amazing work. I'm hopeful a buddy is getting me titanium scales for that Picnicker from him.

21. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

Yep @Outlander the one on my picnicker has been used for just that purpose.

Outlander likes this.