Snowy Spring Camp w/Filipino Roach Belly BBQ

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by bearthedog, Mar 25, 2018.

1. bearthedog

bearthedog Member

I was supposed to be in Georgia and Alabama this week, but the end of these winter snow storms canceled my flights, both of them. That kept me from a trip I was really looking forward to, but didn’t keep me from camping and enjoying these last days of snow for the year.
    I had a few woods projects I wanted to work on and some skills to practice, both woodcraft and cooking skills. Being a long-time fan of Filipino blades and the country in general it was only natural to gravitate towards their food, mainly—Filipino BBQ! I wanted to do all this to the ambiance of a nice low fire I didn’t have to mess with. After 40 min or more of preparation I had a huge 7-fuel layer pyramid fire with a few layers of kindling, topped with poplar tinder. I also had some fun tools (toys) to use for some projects and was looking forward to the night temperatures being not so cold, low-mid 30s, but windy.

[​IMG]

All this warmer weather is melting the snow and filling all these creeks and streams

[​IMG]

Natures TP- I use beech leaves as tissue, both dry and green beech are soft, but after a few days the nose gets a bit raw. When the leaves look like this, shriveled and all Seahorse shaped, falling off, that is the end of winter and Spring is upon us!
    [​IMG]

Claw or squid tree…you decide

[​IMG]

With the snow melting I can easily get the birch bark for kindling

[​IMG]

North x North new hooded neck gaiter, the most versatile piece of gear I had in the camp

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pyramid fire into a long fire…work in progress

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bark tinder tongs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bearthedog

bearthedog Member

My Mud made Roach Belly Crafts Knife

[​IMG]

The belly makes amazing curls

[​IMG]

New Camp Must-Have…Stainless steel chopsticks. Super multi-functional! I eat with chopsticks, but these are 12 inches-long and can poke the fire, rearrange burning wood, pick up hot coals that escape, cook, and be used as supports for my hobo-stove.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pyramid Fire
    [​IMG]

Filipino BBQ kabobs

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This ESEE pouch is easy to clip onto my belt loop and the tag is a good place to store my larger handled ferro rod!

[​IMG]

Flat Surfaces in the woods are a real luxury.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Amazing post! Looks like you had a great time. Those curls were amazing! I carry chopsticks everyday but they are half steel half wood, I love them but I might have to look into a set that is full metal. Great way to show the versatility of them. How is that ESEE pouch? One of the few ESEE products I don’t have...

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  4. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Mud is about to sell some knives i suspect!!! Thanks for the posting!!! Amazing as always!

5. bearthedog

bearthedog Member

I don't think he makes knives anymore. This is two years old, I really like it. Weight is like a Mora, 3/32" thin blade, 01, super sharp spine.
    Great American craftsmanship.
    Love that pouch, hate zippers. No outdoors gear I have uses zippers. This one has lasted in the rotation for about a year and it seems to be going strong, but zippers in the outdoors or in life ALWAYS FAIL ME! Most useful feature is that it is superlight, 2 ounces empty. All my possibles pouch items fit inside, with room to spare. Good in snow and rain, as the top flap is hard.

-RB

The Marsh Gorilla and Strigidae like this.
  6. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Thanks, I might have to try one out, I might have all of my current pouch issues resolved so we will see lol still a great post!

7. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Also, I think we need more details on your kabob recipe. What was your marinade/sauce?

8. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

Great post RB! We missed you at the Bushcraft class this weekend man!

9. R Stowe

R Stowe Moderator Staff Member

Good stuff, but to echo @shaneadams90 it would have been awesome to make your acquaintance at class. Hopefully we'll cross paths down the road.

10. bearthedog

bearthedog Member

What pouch issues?
    Google MAMA SITA'S BBQ

Feel terrible. you know I go to all these places in the world, but nothing beats the feeling and excitement of going back down south...it's like going home. You know how close to them Rollins I am. Missing the chance to see them, our buddy Mud from CA, James, and camp with Jeff and the gang was beyond a bummer. I have a trip out west to Utah planned, then Alaska until July. I'll make back down there then, guaranteed!
    Yes, sir, would have been great to meet you to amigo. Another time.

-RB

The Marsh Gorilla and R Stowe like this.
  11. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

My pouch issues are finding the one that holds everything how I like it lol I’ll check out the bbq thanks it looked delicious

12. bearthedog

bearthedog Member

Bring less stuff.

-RB

The Marsh Gorilla and Strigidae like this.
  13. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

I’m working on that but I’m anal about how things are organized. My whole kit for a week including food is 32lbs right now

14. Patrick Rollins

Patrick Rollins Lead Instructor Staff Member

You were sorely missed amigo, but I'm glad you were still able to get out and enjoy the snow!

15. JV3

JV3 Member

skip mama sita’s! just mix 1/2 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup of ketchup (preferably banana and not tomato), crushed pepper...and most important ingedients are 1/4 cup of sprite and tons of garlic...1/8 cup brown sugar can be substituted for the sprite.

marinade the meat in it overnight and use the left over for brushing the meat while grilling :)

16. bearthedog

bearthedog Member

We'll do a make-up trip for sure. Epic, like camp until one of us gets mauled by a bear sort of thing!
    Prodigal bushpimp/magazine star!
    Yes, but I wanted to do this while out, quick and easy. Why didn't you make these all those trips we did?

-RB

The Marsh Gorilla and Bushman5 like this.
  17. JV3

JV3 Member

i was saving weight...for the 5 liters of whiskey and 3 cans of spam i usually bring.

18. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Sounds interesting. Never heard of banana ketchup, mushroom but not banana...

You are my hero

19. bearthedog

bearthedog Member

Its a sneaky ingredient them Filipinos put in their food to get you addicted to the food, nature and country. I hate everything ketchup or vinegar, but it worked on me!

-RB

20. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Lol good to know! The “son in law” is Filipino and they make some weird but good food lol