Away from Basecamp "Gear Roll" (Schemagh)

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by Caleb O, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

Thought I would share, as this is something I do semi regularly. Especially if I have backpacked into a place and setup a base camp. I use it when leaving the camp for a few hours to explore and scout around; yet still have some items with me. It's really simple, and I'm sure a few of you guys do similar, but here's my "Gear Roll" for a short scout about. In this instance I have a steel water bottle, fire kit, folding knife, and a bar; along with a schemagh or other large piece of cloth. IMG_2858.JPG Place the items in the corner of the cloth (tightly together if possible). It also helps if they are pretty uniform and lined up. Just makes the whole wrap easier (and easier to wear). IMG_2859.JPG Next start wrapping the items with your cloth. Make sure to keep the whole thing tight. (Like rolling up a sleeping bag) IMG_2860.JPG Once you have rolled your items all the way to the opposite end of the fabric, twist/wrap the tag ends. This helps hold the whole thing together when you tie it around your waist. IMG_2861.JPG
    Finally, locate bundle in the small of your back and tie the ends securely in front of you. If done right it will hold your items easily and not unravel. No joke, I have ran with this setup on and I didn't lose items all over the trail. There yah go, minimal and hands free hiking setup. If you do something similar, post up some pics! IMG_2862.JPG

2. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Great idea. I have a snipers veil I use with paracord in a similar way to gather mushrooms and as a hobo sack

3. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

Nice! Yeah, large pieces of cloth and such are really versatile. I pretty much always have something like a schemagh or such with me when outdoors. You got a pic of your hobo sack setup?

The Marsh Gorilla and Strigidae like this.
  4. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

I’m at work but when I get home I’ll take some.

The Marsh Gorilla and Caleb O like this.
  5. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

Right on!

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  6. Stewart

Stewart Member

I like it!
    I used to do something similar by packing in a pillow case and I would make an improvised day pack for scouting.

7. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

So here is the sniper veil;

https://www.condoroutdoor.com/sniper-veil.aspx

Rothco makes them and I’m sure other vendors but mine is a condor. So other than my foraging bag this guy can also be used as a fishing net, shad, camouflage and probably many other things.

First my current haversack repack for spring;

22C15228-FD65-466A-B8B6-63E8AB0DBCDD.jpeg

Next, the veil;

CCFAD1FB-38E1-4A26-89B5-B019648F6489.jpeg

Normally the rocks are rolled inside but they fell out, in addition I have an opinel mushroom knife inside;

E41AF325-5E7E-46F2-9EBE-EE9C168021E2.jpeg

This guy is a good size and stretches;

6D3E84C5-116C-4FBE-B030-C8E0691A572B.jpeg

Anyway fold it in half;

9F212D03-1972-4610-92B7-98A0F23CC08C.jpeg

Add rocks

65B56182-3FD1-4632-94EA-C30D6451A185.jpeg

Fold the edge over;

006B14F6-B53D-4D2A-BE4F-1481CE9317BE.jpeg

Fold ends in;

E83A14B2-A05E-4B72-89BB-29CDCB8FF54F.jpeg

Fold it up; B3305499-5C61-448D-A11E-A68BC1B8BD1F.jpeg

Paracord one end before the now encased rock;

B3305499-5C61-448D-A11E-A68BC1B8BD1F.jpeg

Now the other side;

9A97277E-3D1B-4AF0-8C00-D1B5DD852D29.jpeg

Now wear it;

1B70754D-E714-4A72-9AC5-DA7DB6FF225E.jpeg

2B9DA276-F43D-48DE-A62E-CB09ACF1A4F3.jpeg

I added 12 XL t shirts and could it more;

83080089-708C-481C-A207-9E8D1B93D030.jpeg

Use a blanket pin to close;

8592E66E-EB40-4EB9-AA3A-29F36A492BD5.jpeg

This makes a good game and foraging bag. You could tie loops on and use a clip on shoulder strap for heavier loads. Why the veil is so good for foraging is I like mushrooms. Well when people forage with plastic Walmart bags or even the maxpedition roly poly style pouches you are killing off the mushroom population. Mushrooms pollinate by spores and when they are in a bag of tight material all the spores are trapped. A bag like this the spores will spread freely as you walk so you are basically “planting” more mushrooms as you walk. Anyway hope you like my hobo bag. (You could also go classic and tie the 4 corners up an a stick! Lol)

Attached Files:

8. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

digging this.

The Marsh Gorilla, Caleb O and Stone like this.
  9. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

Nice roll up. I should pick up a shemagh or two.

The Marsh Gorilla, Caleb O and Stone like this.
  10. Stone

Stone Member

I now own three: olive, desert and sky blue (for downtown -- matches my eyes).

I bought my first one last fall. Wore it into winter (see my current avatar). Quickly became unable to live without it both at home ("base camp studio") and in the woods. (It got me through several afternoon walks in the singles F; it's large enough to cover neck and head under the hood.)

Added another, then the third in blue. $11 on Amazon (mine are all from Mato and Hash).

Don't leave home w/o one or two.

11. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing. I'll probably do something similar when harvesting mesquite or palo verdey beans. I also would have never realized that about mushrooms. Good call for sustainable harvesting.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  12. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

You’re welcome, it’s a nice setup. I do have a roly poly bag for gathering tinder while hiking to my camp but for harvesting I like this then when I’m at camp I can hang it on a tree or the ridge line of my tarp. When people uses hand woven baskets mushrooms would spread more, now a days with modern materials mushrooms die out in area because they can spread their seed. Part of Bushcraft/woodcraft/wooods bumming of what ever you want to call it is about nature and preservation. Everything we do has an impact on the forest and we need to do everything we can to lessen it. Just my philosophy.

Hammer, Caleb O and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  13. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

Excellent post!!!! This has been my philosophy and mindset as far back as I can remember. I tend to spend more time now planting trees, and hinge cutting bedding areas than I do killing game animals.

Zeek, BlueDogScout and Caleb O like this.
  14. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

Amen Bro. Often an overlooked aspect of what we do.

15. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

True that. I usually have two. It's awesome that just by the way one utilizes and wears it, that a simple large piece of cloth will help in the cold or in the heat. I was on a twenty mile-er out to the Gila River, and even with a broad brimmed hat I still busted out the schemagh and wrapped it loosely around my face to keep off the sun. (Wearable shade and evaporative cooling for the win!) I need to pick up one in a cool color though.

The Marsh Gorilla and Stone like this.
  16. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Thanks

Caleb O and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  17. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I have a huge multicam shemagh from @Willow , and a military surplus OD snipers veil. The veil has cord drawstring on all 4 corners.....makes a nice hobo bag

Willow, Caleb O and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  18. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

You should post some pics of both lol

Caleb O and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  19. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

Would love to see some pics! Sounds great!

20. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

Went out to gather some yucca leaves for cordage practice later this week. Also did a little scouting about and took the gear roll with me. IMG_2866.JPG I've enjoyed wearing other things on the schemagh as well. Almost turning it into a wilderness tool belt. In these photos I have the ESEE 6HM on one side and a gourd container for foraging on the other side. IMG_2880.JPG