Ifak most over looked items

Discussion in 'Wilderness and Tactical Healthcare Management' started by BlueDogScout, Mar 18, 2018.

1. John

John I know who I am! Staff Member

The best device/gear we've ever been given for any situation lies between our ears. What we make of it is up to us.

2. jeeter

jeeter Member

Serious question, believe it or not, but your thoughts on tampons vs pads as a first aid item?

3. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Personally I think they work great. The thing is some first aid items aren’t available in every store or carried by everyone. If you are in a group maybe someone has some of these packed anyway. They are cheap and easy to restock. Might seem odd but they have benefits.

UK Jackal likes this.
  4. UK Jackal

UK Jackal Member

Tampons are great, we will all agree on that, and if I'm running for my life with no kit they'd be something I'd acquire for emergency use........

But if I'm building an IFAK, which is the proposal on this thread, then I'll be packing at least one Israeli Bandage and a Celox Applicator instead.

5. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

I have to check out the Celox where do you buy yours?

RocketmanDane and UK Jackal like this.
  6. UK Jackal

UK Jackal Member

I'm in the UK buddy, I'm spoiled for choice over here but it all depends how much you are buying. I buy in large amounts so I'm able to get it from suppliers.

If you buy sensibly, with long expiry dates, it should serve you well.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  7. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Thanks

UK Jackal likes this.
  8. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

you can order it from Amazon, the great thing about celox vs quick clot, celox works on people who take blood thinners. That's why I switched.

9. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Serious Answer: I am not sure that the size of a pad justify's the amount of absorption benefit, if that makes sense.. Being that tampons can absorb a good amount and be stored compactly i thing for absorption purposes it would be better.
    That said i have seen pads used in surgery for wound coverage and padding.. SO unlimited storage heck yah both! small kit i would pass on the pads..

10. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Thanks

11. jeeter

jeeter Member

How about the effectiveness of maxi pads vs similar sized gauze pads? Just curious as I've never used feminine hygiene products for first aid.

12. UK Jackal

UK Jackal Member

It's not the absorption value that is important, it's the haemostatic (clotting) capability that you need to focus on.

Tampons/towels/maxi-pads etc do not have the relevant chemical agent within, to which end you may as well just carry a roll of cotton wool. All these things will do is become saturated and blow away, especially with a heavy flow of blood!

Trust me, anyone that's seen a major arterial Bleed in front of them (I have several times) will point you towards a haemostatic dressing, gauze or granule based product!

Whilst I accept people's enthusiasm to 'make do' with various improvised items, in this day and age and with the preparation/kit ANYONE can access, it's not only highly unnecessary but it borders on the negligent!

13. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Understand your point but what if you don’t have those items or don’t have enough. I live 45 miles from the nearest town, they don’t stock those items at the gas station? I agree that the ideal should have those items. What if we make another thread for makeshift/macgiver first aid items?

Strigidae and UK Jackal like this.
  14. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

If you dont have the good stuff you make do. But its just that. Pressure is all you can hope for out of those items. Be prepared or be prepared for failure. I get both your points.

UK Jackal likes this.
  15. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Good good stuff guys! Thank you.

RocketmanDane and UK Jackal like this.
  16. UK Jackal

UK Jackal Member

Agree entirely but this is a Individual First Aid ‘Kit’ thread. Implying we can plan ahead and buy specific items. Everything in here can be bought easily over the Internet for reasonable money and shipped to your door.

Absolutely, if you want to have a ‘makeshift first aid items’ thread, open one up. But anyone with a serious eye on preparing for a catastrophic bleed, GSW injury or similar should buy the proper kit and get the proper training if possible!

Hey, I’m as dumb as a piss-stone and if I can teach this stuff there is hope for everyone!

RocketmanDane and Strigidae like this.
  17. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Absolutely please don’t mistake my words. I agree with you and you have been adding great value to the knowledge base. We got off topic but the off topic stuff is also good to know. I’ll create a new thread shortly....

18. UK Jackal

UK Jackal Member

It’s all good brother! These are very healthy discussions to have!

‘Buy the right thing once and it’ll more than likely safe your life once’, words I got from my first advanced first aid input!

Same guy said ‘Yeah, we all wear a belt but I also carry a tourniquet!’

19. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Excellent advice. I did start the other thread!

20. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@jeeter IDK But ill jump that discussion to the new thread :)

@Simon Armstrong I total agree with having the best possible gear available! Even some of the harder to find items i know i have been able to locate at a local Army surplus store OR i have gone as far as even asking folks at the doctors office to snag me a could items :) I have been unfortunate but also fortunate to deal with some major traumas back in the day and i agree that having the right stuff paid off. But as the say they don't let me play ping pong no more :( I rely on my wife who does teach this stuff now a days for the latest info :) And they let me sit through the occasional Class if they have extra room just to brush up :)

@BlueDogScout I will pop over there :)

UK Jackal and BlueDogScout like this.