SHTF currency and bartering items...

Discussion in 'Survival and Wilderness Skills' started by BlueDogScout, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

having seen people here in Metro Vancouver .....I would not advertise.....

having seen folks like you guys........ya'll family. No issue helping out.

The Marsh Gorilla and Zeek like this.
  2. Zeek

Zeek Member

Thanks for the post @Black5

This is one that's really got me thinking... no doubt I will literally be lying in bed thinking.

May not be as simple as 50 lbs of rice and beans but I get what you're saying and it's a start.

Stone, The Marsh Gorilla and Black5 like this.
  3. Hammer

Hammer Member

When I consider such scenarios, I feel very fortunate (though it has been a deliberate choice) that we live in a rural area that isn't really on the way to anywhere, and that we've both spent our lives outdoors, for extended periods of time, in lots of tough conditions. We are surrounded by friends we know well, and who, to varying degrees, are also capable of a fair bit of self-sufficiency if it comes down to it. No doubt, life would change if such a thing happens, but I don't think it will be as dramatic or immediate for us as it will be in other places.

Urban centers, on the other hand, will be a nightmare. People who have no idea how to obtain anything for themselves that they can't buy at a store will be at a loss, and the panic and desperation will quickly spread. I would look at "prepping" and what might be considered "currency" quite differently if I lived in a major urban area.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  4. Stone

Stone Member

That's a relevant question.

Here's a suggested answer.

(This isn't GD./)

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  5. Stone

Stone Member

This thread illustrates why I've stayed on this forum (with @Jeff Randall's help) for years.