Some forum changes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Strigidae, Feb 10, 2018.

1. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

I agree.... I used to LURK on the OLD FORUM a LOT!! Like it's shameful HOW much time I spent just consuming the ideas and experiences in the forum....and you are right....we got a little dysfunctional.....but I think we are well on our way towards a better place....

This place could be one of THE BEST resources on the web....we just need to filter out the unnecessary noise and keep it focused on the primary reason we are here.....to create an exchange of knowledge, skills, and experiences amongst all of those that can abide by some very simple house rules....

Caleb O and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  2. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

I completely agree! As long as big egos stay in check and rules get followed I can definitely see it becoming what you're envisioning. It's gotten to where everyone's functioning like a group of friends now.

Use to be it was like different factions hanging out on here, which I admit that I fell into that mindset before leaving over a year ago. In that time away I started to miss seeing/hearing folks actually using their gear along with the differences in that usage from different areas. I've learned more here than anywhere else online in the last four years, and I can see that it's going in a direction that'll make it easier to learn and share even more.

shaneadams90 likes this.
  3. shaneadams90

One thing I have learned and that is EGO is the enemy....our ego can betray as quicker than just about anything...humility keeps us open to new ideas, skills, and life experiences....ego will mess you up....buy me a drink one day and we will talk about how mine has betrayed me on more than one occasion.

I'm extremely fortunate to be around some very wise people the are experts in their field and the one thing THEY ALL have in common is they do NOT have an ego...they are life long students....something I aspire to be personally. That's a cool place to be!

4. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

Once again I completely agree with you! Pursuing knowledge is pretty much religious for me, the only way I want to stop learning new things is when I die.

shaneadams90 likes this.
  5. Lockster

Lockster Member

One really simple rule I always try to follow in forum discussions...

Talk to everyone as if I am sitting across a campfire with them.

Generally if I follow this rule then I know I am unlikely to run into any issues. We are all people who can relate to that “friends around the campfire “ analogy and the level of mutual respect infered by that statement .

I think we can all benefit by dropping the “internet anonymity “ attitude that seems to embolden people to ridiculous levels in online discussions, we are all here to enjoy the shared love of the outdoors and learn from each other, that should always be front of mind.

6. shaneadams90

Well said. No one likes a keyboard commando! This age of online interactions has caused people to maybe say things that previously would have gotten someone a rap on the beak!

That’s a great rule I wished more lived by!!

7. ArguableLobster

ArguableLobster Member

If we could talk about Stephen Hawking sometimes that'd be cool too.

Bcamos and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  8. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

9. Hammer

Hammer Member

A good, basic rule for the modern age.

10. Zeek

Zeek Member

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  11. Zeek

Zeek Member

12. shaneadams90

@Zeek I have a the same sickness for burning powder as well....I know many on here that share the same affliction. This forum has been in transition but I think people are starting to get where we are headed....there will be a place for joking too but we don't want to derail serious threads....our purpose is to create a place of knowledge exchange....keeping the lighter side of things in the general discussion will help maintain the integrity of the rules and still keep everyone happy.

Glad you are here.

13. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Debatable

^That's not a challenge or an offer lol

The Marsh Gorilla and Zeek like this.
  14. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

The reason the hawking thread was locked was some folks decided to take things into the religious realm and we cant have that in our discussions gentlemen.

15. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

I enjoy the new format. It seems to be bringing people out of the woodwork (or leading them into the woodwork???) Although I feel more useless than before.

16. Zeek

Zeek Member

17. Stone

Stone Member

I have no issues with adjusting rules, and will do my best to abide by them. I've contended for years that this is the best forum I've ever participated in, bar none. I spend more time here than Faceplant (which isn't saying that much, but for a lot of people ....).

I know that I'm one who's guilty (often) of pushing the boundaries. It's not that I want to be disruptive, I'm just a crazy guy. Well, I have a serious side, and try to display that here a lot. I try to post thoughtful, informative posts when it seems appropriate, especially around things I know something about (science, ecology, climate ...).

But I have a fun-loving jokester side, too -- I've said for years that I'm at least 1/4 George Carlin), and of course I love my music. :rolleyes:

Still, I understand, appreciate and support their need to balance things, especially for the vendors. I just hope I can develop the habit of checking which sub-forum I'm in (general vs not) before I post. :confused:

I have one question though, and I'm not being trite or argumentative. I'm asking this to gain extra clarity.

Can someone please define and describe what's meant by "silliness"? I sort of know, but perhaps some examples would be good, because my someone else's silliness might be just warming up for me.

Here's an internet definition, but it's not much help, and doesn't even seem to fit this situation.

"lack of common sense or judgment; foolishness",
    and the latter word is "lack of good sense or judgment; stupidity".​

I think what's implied here instead is more goofing off, making jokes (I didn't read all pages here, but saw reference to sheep jokes, which I too can do without).

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  18. Zeek

Zeek Member

19. shaneadams90

That is the purpose for us being here....to share, learn, and exchange knowledge.

20. shaneadams90

@Strigidae asked that I take a shot at this as he is driving and can't respond. @Stone I appreciate you being here and have lurked on this forum through several versions...I'm also a cyclist so Ive always appreciated your adventures by bike.

To your point.....it's tough to define "silliness" but our goal is to prevent from derailing serious threads....all it takes is one small comments and the whole thread is off chasing squirrels.....or the barn animal of someone's choice....goats seem to have been popular in the past. We can't have that here any longer. Serious threads are here as a resource and reference and in the past we had great threads that were drowned out with "silliness"...We don't want that to happen any longer.

We lost the posts of contributing members bc their posts were often derailed and sent into the stratosphere with unnecessary and off topic comments. We want people to have the confidence to contribute and know that their contribution will serve a purpose and remain intact in it's purpose and intent. We all benefit from that shared knowledge.

So some situational awareness will have to be implemented....we know that serious posts are just that....meant to be on topic always and if you are wanting to kill some time of goof with friends those post have a home in General Discussion.

I hope this clarifies the intent....if I can help more please don't hesitate to ask.

jdh, The Marsh Gorilla, Stone and 2 others like this.