Pucks

Discussion in 'Baryonyx Knife Co.' started by BlueDogScout, Mar 12, 2018.

1. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

hello @FortyTwoBlades I was just cruising around your website and I really liked your products. After some research I’ll have other questions/posts but I wanted to start with pucks. So I love my axes and a good puck can’t be beat. I currently carry one from lansky. Would your artic Fox puck be comparable? I want one that is a little finer than the lansky but still can remove stock well with the other side. I saw that your American mutt is pretty aggressive. I really don’t want to carry two, but I could carry a 6” axe file to be more aggressive. Thank you. Any videos of in action or did I miss those?

Zeek and FortyTwoBlades like this.
  2. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Moderator Staff Member

The Arctic Fox was actually designed as something of a "do it better" response to the Lansky. The problem with the Lansky is that it tries too hard to take on the work of a file, and ends up with performance suffering as a result--it's neither coarse enough to replace a file, nor fine enough to produce a finely finished edge. The Arctic Fox puck was designed to work in tandem with a file, with the file doing the heavy material removal, the grey side of the puck erasing the file marks, and then the icy blue side polishing the edge up to a hazy mirror. Liam Hoffman carries our pucks (with his logo on them) and has a good video of it in use. He actually uses one to sharpen the draw knife he uses for shaping all of his handles.

Kaw-liga, The Marsh Gorilla and Zeek like this.
  3. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Awesome! This really answers my questions. That is the thing I wish was better about the lansky to be honest. I think I’ll pick up an attic fox stone once I pick up a few other pieces. I have no problem carrying a small file in case to me it’s better than carrying a ceramic rod that I always feel I’ll fall on and break in my pack. Thank you for the video even for a demo I don’t think I could do that to such a nice saddle axe.

FortyTwoBlades likes this.
  4. FortyTwoBlades

You're very welcome! They've proven more popular than I ever could have guessed they'd be, and we're just getting started. :D

This is a great file option for packing. It's only the size of a bulked-up needle file, but has the cut of a full sized file. Coarse on one side, medium on the other.

[​IMG]

Hammer and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  5. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Very interesting... I have a 6” Nicholson axe file but this is much smaller. So, any videos on that? Lol

6. FortyTwoBlades

No videos on that, but F. Dick files are worlds better than Nicholson's current production. The only ones better I've found are Stella Bianca, but they don't make one like this.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  7. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Hey it was worth a shot right? lol I’ll read up on this one... I’m intriqued

8. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

How well does the rubber handle hold up?

9. FortyTwoBlades

No issues with mine so far. It's nice and thick with a rounded "mouth" to it that isn't prone to peeling up like on some tools.

10. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Thank you

11. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

I finally went to order and the pick was not available, do you know when it will be back? It was the attic fox. I was also buying the the scythe stones you recommended, the file and the meat hooks. I dunno if any of them are out of stock either...

12. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

13. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

14. FortyTwoBlades

We're out of the pucks at the moment, but do have "Grade B" ones available, and we're working on getting more produced. We have Arctic Fox stones in stock, but are low at the moment and have more of those in production as well. We're out of the hooks and it'll be a little while until those are back in stock.

15. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Okay, what’s the difference to the B grade? I can wait on the hooks lol thank you for the fast reply

16. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

I looked at the b grades and placed my order. Thank you @FortyTwoBlades would it be possible to let me know when the hooks will be back? Thanks again!