RB3 Unicorn GAW on IG/FB

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by shaneadams90, Mar 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

OMG! hahahahaha

2. nathan shepherd

nathan shepherd Member

It's the interaction between a customer and the company that shows their loyalty. A follow on IG or FB is cheap, it doesn't mean they interact with you or even like your product. They could well just be trying to get you to follow them. Looking at how many likes you get (500-2500 per IG post) is a better indication of the fan base you have rather then just followers. Compare that to the interaction you get here. I've been on this forum since 2013, there are people here who have been logged on pretty much every day and contribute a lot to this forum in different ways since I've joined and probably before that too. Most people on here will own/have owned multiple Esee knives. Since I've been a member I can only recall one or possibly two gaw's that Esee has done (sharpest Esee run by 91bravo?) So I'd say you've got some pretty hardcore Esee fans here. I completely disagree that someone who follows you on IG but then doesn't like your posts (do the math, there are a lot of those) is a bigger fan that people on here. 5 years and one forum GAW? It won't kill the company to do one more often than that would it?

Rant over.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  3. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

The GAW still rolls on. Enter it if you want dont if you dont.

4. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

@nathan shepherd

I field more questions and have more customer interaction thru DMs on FB and IG than thru our company email. It goes well beyond a “like”.

I have no control over what has happened here at the forum prior to my arrival. Jeff asked me to come in and try to deliver content that would benefit the forum and bring people back in. He wants this place to be an exchange of knowledge and skill.

It is my opinion that nothing is owed here and that feeling of entitlement will betray a man’s thinking. ESEE foots the bill for the whole forum, let’s people buy/sell on here for free, and asks very little in return.

I’ve done numerous GAW on social media this last year and I’ve never once had someone complain about the opportunity To win a free knife.

I’m happy to be here and happy to contribute.

5. Paul Dengel

Paul Dengel Member

Yep I shared it this am ,Good luck everyone .

6. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

Beautiful knife. GLWTGA

Not on FB or IG. Not going to be either.

7. Boots

Boots Member

Beautiful and a great knife. Good luck on the promotion. I just do not do IG or FB, too old to change.

8. shaneadams90

Thanks Paul!

9. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

I had the misses tag a bunch of people on FB and Instagram because I’m not on either. I told her she can keep it if she wins.

AddictedToSteel and shaneadams90 like this.
  10. shaneadams90

Thank you @mtngoat !!

AddictedToSteel and mtngoat like this.
  11. Adventurer

Adventurer Member

Back when ESEE originally broke away from bladeforums and they started their own forum ESEE did do quite a few GAWS. Texas Tony and the Shotgunners ran them I think. Back then we still had the RAT PACK which helped with the sense of community. A lot of people were also HUGE fans of group buys on knives and patches. The patches used to be really big deal and everyone LOVED them!!! Some of the GAWS I remember include ESEE 5's for a water contest, Izula's for a photo contest Texas Tony did, a photo contest where they were using the pics for their adds and they gave away quite a few great knives if they liked one of your pictures, they did a debris shelter GAW, and a fire contest, something where they gave away Izula II's as prizes, fire kits were prizes for another one, the tube GAWS where members hid certificates for knives for other members to find, a contest where you had to find food in wild, one where members posted up their different and unique ways of carrying an Izula, sharpest knife contest, etc. I ended up winning an Izula shirt, survival cards, and an AH-1 for one of contests. I'm sure there were more but can't remember them all. I do remember the majority of them being during the 2010 to 2012ish timeframe back when I was still in college. But yes the contests and challenges seemed to have ended for the most part. I made my first debris shelter for one of these contests and have improved a variety of skills I may have not otherwise used because of the contests. (I still think it would be a fun idea to do a patch run and give special ESEE patches away as prizes. This would be cheap enough if cost is the issue and I believe that members could get into seeing how many they could win!) The whole atmosphere on here isn't really what is used to be, but things can be changed - that is why I still stick around :). There is a great wealth of knowledge here and I love seeing people post of pictures of outdoor skills.

12. Adventurer

Adventurer Member

Didn't realize you had been doing all of the GAWS on Instragram. I will have to make an account over there :). Looks like I missed out on a few good ones...

shaneadams90 likes this.
  13. ArguableLobster

ArguableLobster Member

I just don't have Instagram or any interest in it, and don't pester friends on Facebook with unwanted advertisements and notifications. If they ask me about knives that's anouther thing.

I do miss the older contests where you did projects. If you are working along the route of Jeff wanting the forum to be a place of knowledge and skill that's a pretty clear path to me.

Good luck to anyone who entered.

14. nathan shepherd

nathan shepherd Member

Yes I remember the feeling of community when I first joined here too. Those GAW, competitions and group buys really added to that. I used to like the feeling that we got the options of things that others didn't just because we were a big enough Esee geek to join the forum. I never won anything but it was fun taking part. Sad that those days are over really.

15. nathan shepherd

nathan shepherd Member

I wonder how many of us have to say that until the penny drops? ;););)

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  16. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    RedEyedHog likes this.
  17. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

Really? Who owes who more? Does ESEE owe us something because we buy their product and without us they would be living in debris shelters instead of having fun building them? Or do we owe them something for developing a great line of products that do what they claim they will, not blowing smoke up our skirts with unachievable claims that using an ESEE knife will cure cancer or some such thing.

Or maybe we owe then a thank you for their products and this FREE forum and they owe us a thank you for buying their products which allow them to live a life doing things they love to do?

I love GAWs, too. But I don't free entitled to them. I DON'T do Facebook or Instagram. That is my choice. Shane didn't post this GAW on those platforms to deny me access to this cool, one of a kind blade, he posted it there to maximize the exposure and let us know about it here.

Thanks Shane, I appreciate the opportunity, but even this beautiful knife will not be enough to get me to sign up over there. Thanks.

18. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

I would like to see more patches!

Agreed, I spent so long trying to find a knife I actually liked that was good quality and not super expensive, now my only problem is which ESEE to grab... thank you all very much

19. shaneadams90

I'm relatively new here......I get there are hurt feelings and a LOT of people longing for times past...that drum seems to get beat a lot.

I'm speaking for me personally NOT ESEE, but there seems to be an inordinate amount of people feeling like they are owed something...I just don't get that mentality. The "feeling" of this forum is NOT dependent on what free stuff Jeff and Mike want to throw at it....

I've spent a lot of time researching the drama that has taken place here ....the various sources of all the hurt feelings.....I know Jeff and Mike are my bosses but I also have heard them explain what their desire for this forum is over and over again and it's really simple to me....and because they are very forthright, and at times blunt, they have been fed a ration of dung time and time again....IN THE HOUSE THEY BUILT......they are not victims.... It's their HOUSE

If the MEMBERS of this forum would like for it to improve that I would like to impress upon them THEIR role in being the change. I know the Mods work hard to honor the requests that Jeff and Mike have made. These are honorable people and yet they are fed a ration of dung as well.

Personally, I like the knowledge shared here and would like to see it improve yet I do not feel anyone owes me something for being here.

As stated this is MY ASSESSMENT based on my time here.....take it for what it's worth. I'm down for helping where I can but I do feel like there are greater contributions to be made other than looking in the rear view mirror an lamenting about the past or looking for free stuff.

ONCE again...My .02

20. RedEyedHog

RedEyedHog Moderator Staff Member

Jeff is hands down one of the most generous dudes I’ve ever met. From a business standpoint (that’s what they’re running here) it makes more sense to do giveaways on the larger platform of FB and IG. This is a business they’re running not a charity, that being said they’ve done more than their fair share of “giving back” to this community and others that don’t even spend a dime at ESEE or RAT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.