Offensive and Defensive Tools of the Adventure

Discussion in 'Survival and Wilderness Skills' started by DYSPHORIC JOY, Feb 14, 2018.

1. kihnspiracy

kihnspiracy Member

2. McKROB

McKROB Member

P1000320.JPG P1000313.JPG

Mossberg 590 in northern BC. Either this or my old Winchester Defender when in bear country. I've got Unclc Mike's folding stocks on both of them now making them much more packable.

Getting a national handgun carry permit for defense against wild animal attacks for work used to be pretty easy to get in Canada, now I have to apply weeks or months in advance and the permit is only valid for the immediate area that I'm working in. I'm lucky if I know two weeks in advance where I'll be working so as a result I haven't had my handgun permit in years. The last time I applied they wanted me to do a timed range test in front of the provincial Chief Firearms Officer. The firearm on the application was a single action Ruger New Model Super Blackhawk, it would have been almost impossible for me to reload it in the allotted time so I never bothered, so the shotgun it is (no special permit required for the shotgun, other than a firearms license)

3. Sam

Sam Member

Its pretty sad that we can't carry a handgun other than to the range here in Canada.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  4. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

honestly.......handguns are great....i have spent a LOT of time on the range with friends handguns......BUT.....give me a shotgun or a bolt action rifle any day.

5. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

True, if I know I'm going in to a fight I'm going to be dang sure I have a long gun with me, but that's where a hand gun shines, it's easy to always have on youfor the unexpected. I get that's just not possible for the esee brothers of the north but at least you can still own and carry long guns relatively easily.

Sam, The Marsh Gorilla and Bushman5 like this.
  6. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

once i get my licence , i'm buying the same shotgun that @Se7eN has. (see his adventure threads). A friend locally has one and i've spent a lot of time behind it in the woods range. Its like an extension of my arms and hands.

7. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

Off trail hiking in my area is very difficult with a long gun simply because of thick brush and rocky, steep terrain. Usually you need both hands free and hanging gear snags on everything. Nonetheless, I typically will have an abbreviated long gun in my pack.

The Marsh Gorilla and Zeek like this.
  8. Sam

Sam Member

I have been hunting and shooting here in Canada a long time. A .22 handgun would be very practical for grouse and hares in wilderness areas especially when carrying a rifle for big game. The advantage of carrying a handgun in the woods would be that it coulld always be with you. Picture flyfishing in a northern swift running river. Your longgun is not practical now!
    Shame we can't carry handguns. Handguns and other restricteds in Canada are only range toys and thats a shame. Things are not going to get better they will worsen and that applies to that freest of countries the USA. Glad I am in my latter 50's would not want to grow up in the New World
    Sorry for ranting

Kaw-liga, Bushman5, IW17 and 2 others like this.
  9. Datilite

Datilite Member

I carry this setup more than any other I have, S&W 69, 5 shot 44 magnum in a chest holster along with the Laserstrike and Candiru.

IMG_20180302_153457587_HDR.jpg

10. Mountainmistwanderer

Mountainmistwanderer Member

11. Se7eN

Se7eN Member

@Bushman5

You got it brother. I carry a Mossberg 590A1 with magpul furniture and a black mesa side saddle shell carrier + tactical light system.

For where I go and what you could potentially encounter, I probably wouldn't carry anything else for these reasons.

1. 12 gauge shotgun can be used for hunting game birds and is also effective against deer when close enough and used with heavy buckshot or slug loads.
    2. Defensively speaking, a 12 gauge shotgun will effectively neutralize any potential threat to you or your family. That doesn't mean you have confident in the gun, it means you need to have confidence in yourself to know how to use the gun. Practice at multiple ranges under stress. Do pushups or jumping jacks until you are tired, then try shooting. You will learn something about yourself.
    3. Pump action shotguns are tough. They work in all kinds of conditions.
    4. To me, my gun is like my ESEE 5. I carry it everywhere and I know it can take the abuse, so it is more likely to come with me through hell than a nice 375 H&H bolt action that i'm worried about scratching or dropping.

One incredibly important thing to note;

When carrying your shotgun in wet/damp weather or if you are crossing streams and rivers ( fishing or foraging) you MUST waterproof your shells.

I got into a situation where I was fishing and my mag tube got wet because the barrell was hanging in the water from my 3 point sling. Later on, those shells wouldn't fire... HMM.

From that point on, I put silicone or wax over the top of the shell to seal them. They work they same and accuracy on the slugs is not affected from what I can tell.

Another tip.

When loading your firearm with buckshot, typically, the shot is packed with a polymer packing around the shot so it doesn't deform resulting in a poor pattern when shot.

So I was 7 km into the sticks and stayed out too late fishing. I had my mom and sister with me and we started to hike out of the bush. I chambered a round...but nothing came out of the mag tube...WTF?!? Here we are in PRIME grizzly country and my gun is F*CKING jammed.

I tried to free up the mag tube but something was wrong. I loaded one slug from my reserve ammunition and we hiked out. We made it no problem of course, but I felt very humbled.

Later on I discovered that the polymer packing from the federal shells I was using was spilling out of the shot shells and into the mag tube, thus jamming the shells in place.

NEVER AGAIN.

So needless to say, my shells are sealed, or they don't go in my damn gun.

I will close with this;

I wish so badly that I could legally carry a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 Mag. But unfortunately, that would result in me going to jail for 7 + years. Can you believe that?

I'll post pics of my gun in a bit.

Kaw-liga, Bushman5, Sam and 2 others like this.
  12. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

if i ever get out of this $$ rut and get my licence , this is what i'm buying.....I'm a HUGE fan of the BullPup design, and an ever bigger fan of a bullpup shotgun.

NO RESTRICTED IN CANADA! 14 in the tube and 2 in the chamber. DP-12

https://www.firearmsoutletcanada.co...-4-or-3-dual-18-7-8-barrels.html#.WqIKv-VzKUl

American Gun Girl laying waste to targets

one hell of a bear / cougar gun. and totally non regulated here.

maintenance procedure:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  13. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

That's NOTHING like my cougar gun:D;)

Seriously though that is definitely fitting for you!

Se7eN, Datilite and Zeek like this.
  14. Mountainmistwanderer

15. Zeek

Zeek Member

16. Mountainmistwanderer

Love it. There is the slightest click inside the gun when pulling the trigger back that happens a hair before the hammer drops. I have become really in tune with that click for putting one down range and having the next round ready to go while realigning from that 357 kick.

17. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

its so short and compact (28" total length ) .......a single point sling and the DP-12 would integrate really well with my load bearing gear setup.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    Datilite and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  18. Kaw-liga

Kaw-liga Member

The action in my GP100 does the same thing.

19. Zeek

Zeek Member

Huh... I have pretty much every other revolver Ruger makes except a GP100 and have not noticed it.

The Marsh Gorilla and Kaw-liga like this.
  20. Kaw-liga

Kaw-liga Member

I think it's where the hammer would be cocked back in single action. But when shooting double action you can hear/feel it in mine right before the hammer drops. I was hoping it would smooth out some with breaking in. I've put 2,500+ rounds through it. It's just part of the action to me now and I don't give it much thought. I can give the trigger a "half squeeze," if that makes any sense, and hold it at that point comfortably without firing.