How far did you walk/run today?

Discussion in 'Wilderness and Tactical Healthcare Management' started by Zeek, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Zeek

Zeek Member

Didn't we already have this thread? I searched and was not able to find it. So if we do and someone can point me to it, I'll move over and post there.

Anyway... my buddy from Chicago got me running about 6 years ago. Nothing hardcore, mostly 3-4 miles three or four times a week with an occasional longer run on the weekends. I really enjoyed it and kept it up until about a year ago.

So after a long time I hit the treadmill today for 30mins, not a 'run' but I've gotta start somewhere and it's from zero now. The treadmill sucks although the YouTube videos make it not so bad. Soon we will have warmer weather and longer days and I hope to get my azz outside again. I'm lucky to have a few miles of dirt roads through the neighbors farms that are just ideal.

I'm hoping this thread gives me a regular dose of inspiration. :)

2. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

I've been slacking myself over the last 10 months or so helping my wife get things ready for the baby, crappy excuse but is what it is and life happened. Before that I was doing 2.5-3 miles 3-5 days a week on an elliptical trainer or treadmill along with running/ fast hiking the hills at deercamp on weekends.

Joined a Planet Fitness that just opened here last weekend and have started hitting just over 3 miles in 30 minutes on a random program setting to get a hills simulation. Like you said gotta start somewhere.

3. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

I did a 6 mile hike yesterday.

4. Zeek

Zeek Member

O.K. so I'm looking at new running shoes now. Lol... every hobby/recreational activity always comes back to buying 'gear'.

I've used Mizuno Wave Creation, Brooks I think Ghost?, and several pairs of ASIC Gel-Nimbus. All seemed good except the Mizunos with the hollow cavity in heel would always attract rocks along gravel roads.

I just looked and my current pair of ASICS are the Nimbus 15... they are up to 20 now.

5. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

You did some mod fanciness DJ. Nice work.

Kaw-liga and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  6. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

Logged 3 more miles on an elliptical, then weights this afternoon.

Probably just stuck in my Gen-x roots, but I've always had Nike air max do well for me for working out/cardio machines and Merrill's for trail running and hiking. Merrill's are about damned near bulletproof.

Kaw-liga and Zeek like this.
  7. Zeek

Zeek Member

None really for me. We had ~4" of snow here last night so spent some time shoveling, snow blowing, and cleaning up. It turned nice this afternoon with sunshine and temps near 40F so took the dog for an extra long walk. Gonna hit the mill hard tomorrow. :D

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  8. Black5

Black5 Member

What is this "run" you speak of?

oh-they-said-i-thought-they-said-rum-oh-oh-16633292.png

STPNWLF, The Marsh Gorilla and Zeek like this.
  9. Zeek

Zeek Member

Back in the day me and my boys would run around Harvey's Lake on Black Friday. It's about 8 miles +/-.
    I gotta make it happen at least one more time...

10. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

4 3/4 miles for 45 minutes on elliptical yesterday then worked out legs.

Zeek likes this.
  11. Zeek

Zeek Member

Any of you guys wearing pedometers? My daughter has one of the fitbit things but it seems like more of a 'fashion' item...

12. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Ran a little over a mile last night at the gym.

The Marsh Gorilla and Zeek like this.
  13. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

5 miles in 45mins on the elliptical at the gym.

I'm crediting the .25 mile gain in the same time frame as yesterday to starting a Megadeth pandora station, for some reason old metal makes me run harder.

DYSPHORIC JOY and Zeek like this.
  14. Zeek

Zeek Member

No doubt... had several play mixes setup back in the day. Different duration and sequences for different runs. Even had songs in arrangement to coincide with hills etc.

I've gotta start listening to music again. Watching Hickok45 on the mill isn't very inspirational lol.

15. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

Now that's some musical dedication! I used to run with a Sony discman in a jogging belt pack that had slots for CD's I'd cycle through while running and working out, my wife's forbidden me to use it anymore because she doesn't want anyone guessing our age:rolleyes: I'm just grateful I still have old electronics that work, I've threatened to break out my yellow Sony Sports Walkman cassette/radio and really make kids at the gym think we're fossils.

Hahahahaha watching Hickok45 when running could be inspirational on using your credit card!

Zeek likes this.
  16. BeardedWalrus

BeardedWalrus Member

I've been working in a short hike everyday for over a month now. I go up a mountain trail near the house, I stretch my legs for 30min to an hour a day. Weight loss has been my primary goal, cold beer has been my biggest obstacle.

17. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

Logged in 5 1/4 miles in 45 minutes yesterday on the elliptical at the gym yesterday. Seems I'm making a 1/4 mile gain everyday this week even though I've been increasing the machines difficulty level by 1 each session.

My main goals are to decrease my overall bodyfat percentage, I gained quite a bit over this last year due to life priorities keeping me out the wooded hills hiking and mountain biking and work not allowing me in the field for 2-3 months due to the damn broken finger. The later ticked me off because it was during our highest intensity season doing wetland vegetation assessments where we log a lot of miles walking in swamps and floating marshes which tend to burn a lot of bodyfat off of me(I've dropped to 8-10% the previous 3 summers) along with getting to do a lot of herping at the same time.

BeardedWalrus and Zeek like this.
  18. BeardedWalrus

BeardedWalrus Member

My smarter than me watch said I got in 5.62miles yesterday. My hike involved a lot of scrambling and scootin up a narrow gorge.

19. BeardedWalrus

BeardedWalrus Member

Just knocked out a quick two miles on the trail, it was the hottest day of this new year.

20. Zeek

Zeek Member

I never used an elliptical.

I'm making very slow progress through this first week. Treadmill some days mixed with a 3 mile walk during the lunch hour on others. Legs are telling me I'm doing something, nothing to brag about, but I feel I've moved at least one notch above zero...