Lift lift lift.

Discussion in 'Overlanding / Off-Road' started by RedEyedHog, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Chuy

Chuy Member

I might have missed it but what brand of lift did you go with?

2. RedEyedHog

RedEyedHog Moderator Staff Member

Cheap. Rough Country.

3. Chuy

Chuy Member

Nice, the 4Runner has tons of travel stock. I just did a 2.5" daystar spacer lift on my friends 4Runner and it still drives amazing. Im sure that kit will serve you well. I had an RC lift on my first couple of Jeep, and they did awesome.

4. RedEyedHog

RedEyedHog Moderator Staff Member

Happy with is so far. Will probably upgrade to Bilsteins later on. Looking forward the the New Year and some new tires.

Strigidae likes this.
  5. JAD

JAD Member

On my 2014 TE 4Runner I'm running the ToyTec kit with Bilstiens and only dialed in approximately 1 1/2 inches of lift and leveled the front. At the time of the lift I went to the BFG AT KO2's in 275/70/R15, figure 32 inches. I will stand by the many claims of performance and durability. BUT-there were balancing issues.

You will need to work with a good shop to set them up right. I've bought tires from the same shop for years and for a dozen or more vehicles, but I felt they were challenged in setting these tires up correctly. Furthermore, my daughter bought the same set of tires in the exact same size for her brand new (right off the show room floor) 2016 TE. (You know you're hard core when you replace brand new tires with an aftermarket set of wheels and tires one week after buying your vehicle.) She had the same steering wheel shimmy that I was experiencing. We both ended up taking our vehicles to our regular off road mechanic and his shop. He did a "road force balance" and worked at getting it true. He used less than 1/2 the weight my regular tire shop had slapped on it. That was 10,000 miles ago and nary a shimmer since (for either of us).

I am not a mechanic nor a tire guy, but I am a very experienced off-roader (and have the repair bills to prove it.) In my opinion, the construction of the tire, sidewall durability, tread weight, all make for a heavy tire in any given size you run. Therefore, they require a good mount and balance especially as you get into the bigger sizes. But it is very doable with the right guy doing it.

I ran a set of Cooper AT3's right out of the box when the vehicle was new. 'Off road' performance was good on those tires. I was very unhappy with their 'on road' performance. In wet conditions these tires just idn't get it done. They broke poorly from stops offering a lot of spin and required attention to throttle. Fair performance in snow.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    Strigidae, Chuy and RedEyedHog like this.
  6. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Anyone have an opinion on a toytec boss or ultimate lift kit?

7. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

Well, I just put a set of old man emu springs on our 4runner due to the bumper going on and now it sits up 3 inches higher in the ass end, so now I have to do a puck lift or something to the front end to keep it from looking like it just rolled out of the hood. It does drive better though! Shane and I stood up on the ass end of the vehicle the other day and it may have settled a half inch. The CBI bumper with all the extras is probably only going to add less than 300 pounds so the front end is gonna have to be lifted or go back to the old rear springs.

Strigidae likes this.
  8. Chuy

Chuy Member

I have a Toyotec BOSS kit on my GX470 same kit for a 4 Runner. The GX has a V8 so its front weight is similar to a 4 Runner with a winch bumper. I had an Ultimate Bils kit from Nisstec (Same company) on my Xterra. Both are great, the Boss kit is much better. Rides almost as smooth as when I had the stock airbags on sport mode, and my buddies with new 4 Runners say my GX rides way smoother than their stock rides. The kits are adjustable so you won't have that forward rake (stinkbug look) like you get with standard OME, TJM, Iron Man, etc.

With all of that said and if I had a 4 Runner I would get the Old Man Emu BP51 kit, it will be better than pretty much anything on the market to include Icon.

This is the kit to buy if you own a 4 Runner, and plan to do future mods etc. You need the adjustability to get the desired ride height correct and tuning for weight.

http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com...3-Lift-Kit-For-10-4Runner-No-KDSS_p_1873.html

Strigidae likes this.
  9. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Thanks buddy!!!

10. Chuy

Chuy Member

You will find that with stinkbug it gives you better castor angles providing a better more straight ride. BUTTTT it looks silly IMHO and real world results on a modern 4x4 with the proper toe-in gives you the same results. Any good 4x4 shop can align a lifted vehicle but Firestone/Bridgestone etc. seem to have the most issues. The 4Runners sit a little stinkbug from the factory so any standard lift will exaggerate that. Spacers can fix the issue but the best bet is adjustable front coilovers. Its hard to guess what people will carry in the rear, fridge vs ice chest, winch with or without synthetic line, dual batts vs single bat, full roller drawer, rear swing out bumper vs aftermarket non-swing out bumper, etc.

Strigidae and artigas like this.