Military / Non Military Mess Kits & Canteens from around the world

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Bushman5, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Post em up! any Military / Non Military Mess Kits & Canteens you have ! From civil war to modern
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    Zeek, Strigidae and HelRaiser like this.
  2. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I'll start with this one, the popular Serbian/Yugoslavian Army Mess Kit.

Its built like a tank. Compact nesting kit, contains a main heavy duty rectangular aluminum pan with fold out handle (handle stays folded out, does not flop around when in use) , a rectangular canteen that sits perfectly inside, a rectangular heavy plastic bowl, a tiny rectangular heavy plastic cup or condiment container, and a set of stainless steel nesting fork, knife (combo can opener) and spoon, as well as a rugged canvas fabric belt case with stud snap.

Junglas and Burmese Cat MissCopper for scale

[​IMG]

back of pouch

[​IMG]

stud snap on front (Imuch prefer these to velcro or ITW plastic snaps - the studs are silent in use)

[​IMG]

opening up the pouch, mess kit and cutlery in its own slot

[​IMG]

kit removed from pouch

[​IMG]

cutlery removed from pouch

[​IMG]

locking handle holds the entire kit together VERY well

[​IMG]

stamped ne drzati na vatri which means "DO NOT PUT IN FIRE" (the plastic components)
    [​IMG]

bowl/plate removed

[​IMG]

canteen and canteen cup (can be used for condiments too) removed.
    he canteen holds a liter, has a silicone disc seal inside the lid. Although my kit i bought was NOS (New Old Stock) it still had that military surplus store smell. I bleached the kit and soaked the canteen in hot water and baking soda to remove odors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

all components seperated

[​IMG]

cutlery

[​IMG]

can opener on knife is not like a P38 or 51 opener, it takes some getting used to. Keep it vertical and locked into the can and its smooth cutting. Also has a beer bottle cap opener

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

if you try like a P-38/51, you get this

[​IMG] [​IMG]

knife is strong enough for a defensive weapon

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    Zeek, Strigidae and HelRaiser like this.
  3. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Continued....

the main mess tin is built like a tank. You could hit someone with it.....solid 1/8" thick aluminum, stout fold out handle that stays in place when using it. You can also hook the plastic bowl onto the handle and hold it in the middle as you go down Crusty's Chow Line, waiting for him to slop in crap in one container, and crap into the other container. (or bread rolls in the plastic dish and main meal in the mess tin etc.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

heated up some noodles and beans in the mess tin and served it in the large plastic bowl

[​IMG]

this is a compact, well laid out Kit.......I would LOVE to see ESEE make this in Stainless Steel, or have a titanium mess kit maker (like Japan's TOAKES) copy this design

a great review here: LINK

Would I personally use this kit on my load bearing rig or backpack? Yes and No......

No one wants to have to remove an entire mess kit, then take off the main lid, then take off the cup, then remove the canteen, just to get a swig of water. It would make me I'll tempered after the second or third time. Where this kit does shine when hiking is the compactness of it. It takes up little space on the load bearing rig. Besides we all carry two canteens right? ;) Easy enough to leave this one as a backup or simply leave it empty until we stop for the day.

However....when camping or hiking with friends, or 4x4 camping, where there is a communal meal, this kit is awesome. Walk up to picnic table, grab some stew and biscuits, fill up the canteen with water, go sit down and enjoy.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    Klynesquatch, Zeek, HelRaiser and 5 others like this.
  4. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

5. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

I would love to see some ESEE cookware as well. A nice bale pot with the skull logo would be awesome. I prefer titanium, but a good stainless pot is hard to beat! Great post!

Well that’s the only military mess kit I own... lol

Pilot, Bushman5 and STPNWLF like this.
  6. HelRaiser

HelRaiser Member

@Bushman5 - That looks like a well thought out kit.

I use the U.S style mess kit. I still need to pick up the utensils though, because apparently I'm impressionable and a G.I spoon soups better than one of those stupid civie spoons.

The kit certainly works, but I don't think it's really ideal. Heat travels through it like it's not even there, and it passes a rattle test about as well as a Maraca.

Zeek and Bushman5 like this.
  7. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Thread title updated :)

8. Switchblade

Switchblade Member

Larger half of a Hungarian kit...

[​IMG]

9. Stewart

Stewart Member

I was issued my canteen on basic training and Ive used it so many trips and carried it so many miles its almost a part of me.

20171203_142304.jpg

10. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

^ awesome pic.

I got a stainless canteen cup from Surplus store years ago. It's been part of my gear load for years.

BlueDogScout and STPNWLF like this.