Hatchets

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stone, May 24, 2018.

1. ThreeRidges

ThreeRidges Member

Ha, I have the OG HB medium camp ax. Years ago I had it on the West Coasr course that RB taught, he liked it and he picked one up.

In all fairness, on that trip RB turned me on to his ML lightweight Kephart and I had one made exactly like his.

Stone likes this.
  2. Stone

Stone Member

Thanks. :)

See updated sigline. ;)

:D

3. Sheepdog

Sheepdog Member

I'm not quite sure what you're driving at.

4. Stone

Stone Member

I'm not driving. I'm sitting in my studio listening to music. :confused:

Michael W. likes this.
  5. Stone

Stone Member

My Schrade Scaxe10 arrived at noon.

I've done little else since then (15:00) but fondle it, sharpen it, fondle it more, play with the sheath, explore the dimensions head to head with the Fiskars X7, explore the balance point, the grip ...

First impression for now, without having chopped anything with it yet (that will happen late afternoon after work): I love it. It's almost -- but not quite -- what I was hoping for. The weight is great, the balance not perfect but close enough, and the molded handle good with gloves.

If I could change one thing so far, it'd be to make the handle diameter larger, maybe 2X, and extend it further up the shaft by 1 - 1.5". It's adequate with bare hand, but I always cut with gloves on, and it's much better with that. But I'm already dreaming of designing a leather wrap that covers the existing grip and extend up the shaft closer to the head ... will promote a better grip, especially when choking up.

I've started photos of all this, and will post later today or tmw. It's a busy week ....

DiscoveryLover and Michael W. like this.
  6. Stone

Stone Member

Evening report. Spent a couple of hours out at my experimental camp with the new hatchet. Still love it, but now even more. I didn't spend the entire two hours cutting with it, but did about 8 projects, including chopping, splitting (small), batoning, de-limbing, shaving bark, cutting, putting points on stakes, and pounding them in. That latter part really got my attention: the pommel on this dude is much more substantive than on the X7.

I'm impressed. It's going to take me some time to learn how to use this blade, which is like no axe I've ever owned, in two ways. 1) it's got way more belly than I'm used to, but I can already tell, I'm going to like it once I learn how to use that potential.

2) I'm used to axes with a more pronounced secondary bevel, including the near-scandi on the X7. This Scaxe is more like a flat grind with a MUCH smaller secondary bevel than I've used on an axe before. I can tell that's going to allow some finesse in carving projects, but I have to learn to get that angle for the strike just right. More to learn. :)

The balance is wonderful. It's virtually the same weight as the X7, but 11" vs 14", plus that full tang helps distribute the weight. I can handle it more easily, especially for finer tasks. Choking up is way easier.

And when walking around looking for wood and projects, I carried it blade forward/down in 2 or 3 fingers, like a brief case. Comfortable.

But the biggest news perhaps is that this is going to be my first belt-carry hatchet. The little plastic sheath is capable, though I'm already dreaming of kydex. But the belt carry works great: 4 o'clock, just like where I used to carry my 9 mm (and about the same weight). [Yes, used to carry. I sold my 9 to fund another project in anticipation of living in another country late this year when I can't own a 9, let alone carry it. Plus I live in small town rural Maine, and stay in the woods more than "downtown" -- LOL -- so don't feel very threatened.]

First two pics. Oh, and I've dubbed it Little Viking. I mean that belly looks like a little battle axe. As a stick fighter, I think I could do some damage with this little puppy if pressed.

Head to head with the X7. The green thing on the X7 sheath is a cardboard/duct tape hobo sheath I made for it (that will ship with it). The Scaxe sheath is more to my liking.

LIttle Viking vs X7.JPG

Taking a break after work, its small first mallet behind it.

Little Viking - Scaxe.JPG

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  7. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Hey @Stone picked this up, $40 one solid forged piece, I’ll give you a review when I can. It’s heavy!

C1502F4F-7BF3-4787-8476-74E1CB785F61.jpeg 9F256923-588D-4259-9619-488BA354E039.jpeg 81557EA4-66B9-40E1-AB1B-77291FD63CEB.jpeg 2E755165-81A0-4678-8559-89F1D22E689A.jpeg

STPNWLF and Stone like this.
  8. Klynesquatch

Klynesquatch Member

This is my go to hatchet. It could replace a belt knife if needed and while you won't be splitting rounds with this guy it chops way better than any knife of the same ish weight

I use it in the kitchen a lot as well

IMG_20180602_143526_429.jpg

9. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Bonus points for bacon! Lol

Stone and Klynesquatch like this.
  10. Michael W.

Michael W. Member

I’m tempted to buy your X7 just to keep in my car for emergencies :)

Stone likes this.
  11. Stone

Stone Member

Klyne, I can't remember the name of that GB. It's the little one, right? I may wind up with one of those yet, but after I cross the pond. Don't need any more weight just now.

And ditto the bacon bonus. ;)

@Michael W. , sorry :oops:, but I've decided to keep the X7. Still loving the Scaxe10, but I found a need/use for the X7. And it's now an X7-3. Story with photos coming downstream a ways ...

12. Klynesquatch

Klynesquatch Member

Yep it's the mini hatchet. Wouldn't be my first choice as a hatchet per se but as a do it all light weight belt knife/chopper it is perfect. If I need something bigger I'm going to bring my sfa

Stone likes this.
  13. Stone

Stone Member

Ah, yes. Mini. They call it "small hatchet".

11.2 oz. Wow. That's amazing. That's no heavier than an ESEE 6 (which is also on my list).

OK, I'm putting that one back on my (futures) list.
    {ETA: just checked current prices: $155 - $160. So, maybe distant futures list. :-0 }

What's the blade length there? Looks maybe 2 - 2.5"?

Here's a pic from the GB page.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    BlueDogScout likes this.
  14. Michael W.

Michael W. Member

I’m glad you decided to keep it. I love mine and will never get rid of it :)

Stone likes this.
  15. Stone

Stone Member

In a conversation with @Wolfman Zack about a leather sheath for Little Viking, he mentioned a CRKT hatchet that interested him.

From that page, I found this one, which instantly made my "to acquire" list. I even put it on my list on Amazon.

16". Same length as my drum and short fighting sticks, but with a sharp, broad edge.

Uh oh.

[​IMG]

16. The Warrior

The Warrior Member

Have eyed down this one a few times myself.

BlueDogScout and Stone like this.
  17. Stone

Stone Member

An hour later, my interest has already waned about that CRKT bearded hatchet. It's getting mediocre reviews at best. Two video tests (substantive field tests) panned it pretty hard for several reasons.

It looks interesting to me -- probably that viking look -- but ... maybe not.

Klynesquatch and FortyTwoBlades like this.
  18. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Moderator Staff Member

I was gonna' say, the reviews I've read were less than stellar, and even in the "hero shots" for their product photos the fit/finish look ROUGH.

Klynesquatch and Stone like this.
  19. Klynesquatch

Klynesquatch Member

Took the mini to a fire at my friend's last night. Decided to see what it could split as well as did all my fire prep with it. I don't use this thing near enough as it does everything I asked of it with ease aside from the splitting which took a little effort with swinging but went through like butter when I battoned it

20180603_193237.jpg

And yes I'm splitting wood in sandals

Stone likes this.
  20. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

Those shoes are not OSHA approved.

Hammer, Stone, Michael W. and 2 others like this.