CenterLine Systems Mother Canteen Carrier

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Bushman5, May 9, 2018.

1. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

This is my initial impressions of the MCC and this will be an ongoing review as usage and time goes by :)

Made a trade with fellow Esee Forum member @Atomicsparrow awhile back in April, some gear of mine in trade for him ordering me the MCC from CenterLine Systems.

These are made to order, milspec grade fabric and fasteners, hand sewn, so it takes time. Mark from Centerline Systems was 110% on the comms, letting me know he was currently working on a batch at the time, and that mine would be sewn up the next batch, early the next week. Contacted me again a few days later when it shipped with with tracking info. Great guy , great company, GREAT GEAR!

My postal worker dude started laughing when he saw me dancing around on the front steps of the building, when I saw him pull up in his van......I signed for the parcel and promptly opened er up

-------------------------------------------------------

I had been reviewing a lot of the videos and forums about the MCC, and I noted a bunch of negative comments that this kit was too big , too heavy, way too expensive.........I found none of these things when I received it.....if anything i think the kit is a wee bit small compared to the way it was described by people.....( its PERFECT SIZE for the role it designed for). I think some of the reviewers saying it was too heavy, are perhaps not realizing that 64OZ kleen kanteens full of water are extremely heavy....not the kit itself.

I read a ton of positive reviews and videos and different ways of setting up the MCC. I also found the MCC to be extremely lightweight on its own, and EVEN more so considering it was replacing 3 pouches.

While this kit is intended as a stand alone canteen/survival kit setup that one can grab and go.=, that was not my motivation to get it........ While it is PERFECT as a ultralight Scout Kit, my needs were different. I wanted this MCC for the load bearing webbing set up I have, to CONSOLIDATE GEAR, AND REPLACE 3 POUCHES.

The quality is top tier. Anyone that whines about the cost (a whole $100) really has no idea what they are complaining about. The sheer number of fabric panels involved to make the MCC, and the intricate hard to reach sewing spots is labor and TIME intensive. I personally feel the cost is spot on, I hope Mark at Centerline Systems is remembering to pay himself wages! :)

on to the kit!

out of the USPS padded envelope. Front of the MCC

[​IMG]

back of the MCC. You will note that the Molle straps allow for one to thread a belt thru if desired.

[​IMG]

bottom of the MCC. Two webbing loops for attaching whatever you want. (like a sleeping roll or jacket or poncho)

[​IMG]

side of the MCC. There is a vertical pocket with a flap, and that flap is secured with a push buckle.

[​IMG]

the removable shoulder strap goes from 1.75" down to 1" . Huge range of length adjustment

[​IMG]

one of the two vertical side pockets on each end of the MCC

[​IMG]

main pocket. Sized for a Gi Cup and canteen, or whatever bottle you may have (Kleen Kanteen etc). There is a flat slip pocket behind the canteen space. You can slip in a kydex knife sheath and knife, or a small tarp or garbage bag etc. You can also fit a flat folded tarp UNDER the canteen cup, there is LOTS of room vertically on the retention strap to accommodate this.

[​IMG]

approximate volume of the small slip pocket (this will depend on the canteen size in front of it. Youc an also see the permanent buckles for the removable shoulder strap. The interior of the canteen docking bay is a grippy material to really keep the canteen in place. There is a drain grommet on the bottom. Beer can for scale. Mmmm yummy cold beer.

[​IMG]

there are chemlight loops on each side of the outer front pocket. With some imagination and careful fitting, you can really put whatever you want in these (slim led flashlight, kevlar /other cordage / etc

[​IMG]

So lets load it up. This is all the gear , plus the Nalgene Tritan canteen and SS GI cup , that i wanted to put into the MCC. The MCC helps to consolidate all this gear, and make more space on my webbing kit, and gets rid of multiple pouches and frees up PALS slots
    [​IMG]

pouches that came off (SAW pouch, watter bottle carrier,and inner gear pouch from the SAW pouch). I should note the MCC takes up a just slightly smaller space (4 rows of PALS) than the SAW pouch, yet holds BOTH the canteen/cup PLUS all the gear that took up that space in the SAW pouch and the old canteen holster. The MCC takes up only 3 rows of PALS , although the pouch width is slightly wider than those 3 Rows (same width as the SAW Pouch)

[​IMG]

Canteen/gi cup and SYKCO 311 in the MCC main bay and slip pocket.

[​IMG]

strap secured. Neither item is falling out or bouncing out

[​IMG]

front pocket filled with RITR book, RITR Pen, wood pencil, compass, flat duct tape card, Burts Bees lip balm tin, silicone 6 coin cell battery case (for the Cejay SERE glo-sticks) Fox 40 whistle.

[​IMG]

Cejay Engineering SERE Glo-Stick (white) on one side,tethered to the other one on the other side)

[​IMG]

Cejay Engineering SERE Glo-Stick (red) on the other side.

[​IMG]

rear side vertical pocket with a roll of blaze orange flagging tape, blaze orange and neon purple rolled up signal panel, and a Exotac XL matchcase with StormMatches. The XL is tetthered to one of the outside chemlight loops

[​IMG]

front side vertical pocket holds the Esee Advanced Fire Kit with Extension Tube, a piece of fatwood and some bankline, as well as a tea candle

[​IMG]

all snugged up and mounted. You can see all the space gained. This entire side of the webbing belt (from the Butt pack to the front of the belt, used to be taken up by the SAW pouch, old canteen holder.

[​IMG]

I did move the MCC more to the rear of the webbing after a few hours of wearing the LB rig around the house. I wanted to mount my drop pouch on the front of the webbing belt. as well as change the side to side balance of the rig slightly.

(note: you might see some differences in Multicam colorings......they are all the same for the most part......my cell camera has trouble on IR compliment corduras for some reason).....

[​IMG]

thats it for now...the MCC did exactly what i set out to accomplish - consolidate the gear on that side of the load bearing webbing into ONE highly organized pouch, and remove multiple pouches off the webbing.

more reviews when I get into the field again, including a review with the MCC removed from the webbing and used as a stand alone ultralight Scout Kit. <<<< @Reno Lewis - all the gear you have in your haversack, will fit into the MCC and its a much smaller setup :)

Last edited: May 9, 2018
    dm1995, Grey Falcon, Kaw-liga and 5 others like this.
  2. BigJake

BigJake Member

Nice initial review. I’ll be watching this as I’ve been thinking about one of these for my canteen.

Bushman5 likes this.
  3. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Nice review as always Bushy!

Bushman5 likes this.
  4. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

I picked up a MCC over the winter. Wonderful piece of gear. It can be carried in several different ways which adds to the versitiliy.

Bushman5 likes this.
  5. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

While you CAN load the MCC with various other containers.....does not mean you should. I think some of the negative comments by people are because they are trying to carry insane amounts of water,........a 64 oz kleen kanteen is brutally heavy folks! stick with a Nalgene Tritan Canteen, GI canteen or a smaller SS bottle........and carry some damn iodine tabs.

the heavy bottles...

Big massive growler of BEER (actually i would carry this who am i kidding :D ). 4lbs weight (glass + all that beer is heavy)

[​IMG]

64 oz Kleen Kanteen........5lbs (digital and manual scale weighed) of water plus canteen weight......I wore the MCC over my shoulder with the 64oz kleen kanteen for like ten minutes. Yea not going hiking with that. MAYBE just maybe i would carry it for a short distance....say from water supply to camp......but it kinda defeats the ultralight concept of the MCC. Stick with a canteen in it. Only time I would carry that would be to re-supply water to a buddy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

this actually was not bad to carry......a giant Magnum of Iso-Butane. Not sure why i would carry it myself, but it fits in nicely. Defeats the water carrying capacity though....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

couple small bottles (DURA-JAR large) , maybe you want some rum and coke while walking from the truck to the fishin' hole? ;)

[​IMG]

6. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

I need to take pics of my mother cook kit. Lol I made mine be for food and cooking which also includes my fire kit.

7. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

BlueDogScout likes this.
  8. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

9. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

ya email me some photos.

BlueDogScout likes this.
  10. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Alright I’ll take some.