Siege stoves

Discussion in 'Survival and Wilderness Skills' started by BlueDogScout, Nov 30, 2018.

1. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

I had the pleasure of Christmas shopping for the grandkids today.... I’ll see what I can do Tuesday or Wednesday. I just packed up my cooking kit with the new stove. I’m content with it lol

2. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I would have had that thing roaring hot with a fire in like a minute after unboxing LOL.....

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  3. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

I would have preferred that but mail came while I was working horses and fixing fence so I was warming up and did the unboxing. Finished my work for the weekend and figured lunch today would be on the new stove. I was informed shortly after breakfast by my darling GF that my idea was wrong lol. I was hoping to cook the first meal on it in the day light for photo purposes and got home tonight after dark. I work M-F and don’t get out until after dark and I’m there when the sun is coming up so it probably won’t happen until next weekend and yes I am just as sad as you are if not more lol

Bushman5 likes this.
  4. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

5. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Although while filling up a water tank after we got home to drive around and fill water troughs I had time to mod the grill handles to hold it down like I wanted. See below;

1F9ECA14-D79B-4BCB-ACF0-9252256F49E4.jpeg

I simply drilled two holes in the ends of the handles and I did them on opposite off center sides...

25E666FA-93DB-4740-8466-E7DC54318AE6.jpeg

AA3E408D-1DE5-43E4-B456-63D79E731CC8.jpeg

Then thanks to the plethora of S-biners I have...

CF481033-0F89-4FF7-A22F-1B9D38367865.jpeg

I can hold the ends together easily and I am happy once again...

B7EEE23B-4E51-4F87-A5DF-7DA96E50AC54.jpeg

978FC76C-B0F2-4B70-A061-69DB7F3A1890.jpeg

Bushman5 and DiscoveryLover like this.
  6. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

^ i see why you did that! you should send that mod off to bud at Siege Stoves and see if they will adopt the idea.

BlueDogScout likes this.
  7. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

I sent the photos to him last night and they like the idea. We have been discussing lol

8. jeeter

jeeter Member

Very cool. I just told my wife I want one for Christmas.

Bushman5 and BlueDogScout like this.
  9. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Post photos if you get one!

10. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

So James sent me some better tips and tricks I figured I would paste in here. There are a few PDFs I’ll attach those when I have better signal. Here you go;

Below is the standard information we send out:

With your Cross-Members we included a bonus P-38 compact can opener. These make a perfect complement to the Cross-Members, for a complete survival system! The P-38 can be clipped together with the Cross-Members, so that in a survival situation with just these two items you have a way to open a can of food (empty the contents into a pot), and convert the empty can into a stove (using the sharpened Cross-Member fangs to make air holes in the can). If you keep the P-38 on your key chain, we suggest wrapping it with electrical tape, so that it doesn't poke your pocket.

We recommend using your stove a few times, so that it becomes second nature for camping or backpacking, or if you need to use it in an emergency.

Attached is an infographic sheet, which has some use and safety tips. Also attached is an excellent equipment list that our friend and former engineer Ken developed over many years, as well as an urban survival sheet he wrote on how to cook using just cardboard strips.

General Siege Stove Tips (cans and Collapsible Stove):
    Once you have the fire in your stove burning well using light material such as tinder and twigs, etc., load it up with any thicker fuel you have (a lopper is a handy tool for cutting sticks thicker than one’s thumb). If you don't have thick material, that's fine — you can just use twigs. In a survival situation even a small amount of cardboard — torn into strips and fed one-by-one into the stove — can be used to cook a meal. If you plan to grill, adding more of the thicker wood early on will result in larger coals after the flames subside, and heat will be produced for longer.

We made the Cross-Members the optimal height, so that if you need to add fuel, you can drop it into the stove through the gap under the pot, without having to lift the pot. A survival magazine recently expressed to us how much they like this top-loading feature, as it removes the need for a gaping feeder hole into the side of the stove (into which wind will blow and out of which embers will fall and fire will flow, thereby reducing efficiency).

It’s hard to beat wood scraps, which are abundant in most places, and free, and can be gathered in place (no need to carry heavy, bulky gas cans with you), but you can also use charcoal in your stove (works well for grilling), as well as other fuel types such as solid fuel (e.g. hexamine tablets), white gas and alcohol (e.g. penny stove/soda can stove/Trangia™). Alternative fuels can be supported at the optimal height by placing them on a pair of tent pegs or wire (inserted sideways through holes in the stove walls).

If you need to move an assembled stove, you can use two hands to grip each end of the lowest base Cross-Member, which has an indentation at each end (we caution against moving any stove with fire or hot fuel in it). We added these detents as a visual and tactile cue so that even in the dark you can feel which cross-member to grip, should you need to move the stove. When setting up your stove, you can grip this lowest base Cross-Member and turn the stove to level it.

If you don't want your pot or pan blackened, you can wrap foil under it, or grease it with soap, or use a buffer pan under it (then simply wipe the buffer pan off on the grass afterward and drop it in a paper bag). This way you can start cooking right away. Or, you can be like us and the many other people who don't worry about their pot getting soot under it :).

Folding Grills:
    With a folding grill you can flip your food as often as you like, (unlike a grill plate that sits on a stove), plus no spatula is needed. Scraping food off a fixed grill plate tends to cause it to break up and fall through (especially fish and burger meat), and it is easy to knock a small stove over when pushing the food around with a spatula. A folding grill gives you much more control. You can lift it off the stove at any time to reduce exposure to flames. An oven mitt may be a handy item to have with you (we have seen a small outdoor product startup in the US that sells mitts specifically for campers and backpackers).

Side Toasters:
    Connect the two parts and position each assembled toaster with its base plate on a protruding base Cross-Member with the four prongs under the stove (can or collapsible stove). Slide it under the stove to the desired distance. Center bread slices on the toasters. Alternative for enhanced toaster stability on cans: use the Cross-Member fangs or a small circular cutting tool (e.g. Dremel) to cut slots in the side of the can (adjacent to the bottom rim) and then slide the base plate into these slots. New feature just added: additional forward slots in base plate for positioning back plate closer to the stove, as needed. How quickly they toast will depend on how hot the stove is, so we recommend that you keep an eye on the bread and shift or flip it as needed, to even out the toasting.

Universal Cross-Members fit many diameters of food cans, plus the Flat-Pack collapsible Siege Stove, as well as quart and gallon paint cans and the popular IKEA®Stainless Steel Canister. When attaching the lower Cross-Members to the bottom of an IKEA® canister, line up the fangs with the four corner holes underneath so that the fang tips go into the holes (don't try to poke the fang tips through the can). Then use a stick to tap the center of the Cross-Members until the edges of the fangs have cut into the edges of the four holes and are all the way in. Once the slots are made, the lower Cross-Members can be pressed on in future uses. Then center and press down on the top Cross-Members to snap them onto the can. The top Cross-Members will be tight on the IKEA canister to begin with — you can use a stick to tap the ends to get them off the first time. You can also slightly crimp the upper rim of the can in the four points where the top Cross-Member tabs fit, to make it easier to put them on, but the fit should loosen up on its own after several uses.

11. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

edit

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  12. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

So I just screen shot and cropped the pages. Here are all the docs some decent info and idea.

9E9AAC69-A087-4D33-8362-B9AD0627F8CC.jpeg C3DD120C-7C9B-42D8-BE5C-A35B1FD572D1.jpeg 93807EFD-C152-4D7B-A38B-DFB5EAB76B6F.jpeg F4461039-D68A-4EC5-9A25-2EE05F934A31.jpeg

Bushman5 and Strigidae like this.
  13. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

my Titanium Siege Stove is sitting in a postal truck, somewhere between Canada Post Depot Richmond BC and my local postal kiosk in Vancouver....! will probably have it Tuesday!

@BlueDogScout you get some field testing in yet? ;)

anrkst6973 likes this.
  14. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

My parcel of titanium goodness from SIEGE Stoves arrived! ( I decided to go all out and buy the entire kit in titanium)

Packaged extremely well, and the recycled packaging can be used in the Siege Stove as fuel!

4CFEEBA5-08A6-4703-969F-01B4AEF04BAD.jpeg

9684B62C-91C8-48E0-AB67-255A9D46B9CF.jpeg

E31759A8-B3B0-4D52-B22B-9B635B7190CE.jpeg B85DD3AA-83D5-424F-B123-FB15B6942213.jpeg

A68106BC-1714-4A7B-AB41-EFD20ED389CA.jpeg

Super compact and flat packing
    7E2E4A3A-9D24-463F-A8A9-00A2CE1C936B.jpeg

3/4” thick all packed up (stove, toasters, grill, crossmembers)

4C6F993F-7C90-470C-BE33-D15F9162777B.jpeg

Second set of cross members and P-38

1E70092F-33DE-480D-B12D-9D2A39519754.jpeg

Will be grilling on Saturday in the woods with this bad boy, and also using the 2nd cross member kit I got, to make a hobo stove out of a can

5CA9BA6A-66FF-41E0-9B3A-40CDF60EC956.jpeg

The Titanium Grill (large) is huge! Big enough for a nice steak or 6 hotdogs, or 4 smokies

7457A875-DA86-4CA2-BAE0-540E32756A2B.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  15. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

one more day and i'm hitting the woods with the SIEGE STOVE, some lump charcoal and mesquite wood chunks, and some locally made smokies and chorizo!~

anrkst6973 likes this.
  16. BushcraftKilburn

BushcraftKilburn Member

I've got both the titanium and the steel setup. BeartheDog and I have used it several times. It's well built. I like the new grill and new toaster.

My wife and I took it out last Christmas and tried to toast some stuff in the arctic cold. Her exact words this year were, "No using the stove this Christmas!"

BlueDogScout and Bushman5 like this.
  17. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

^ I think lump charcoal piled high in the stove would solve that issue, get it hot! :D

18. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

@Bushman5 @BlueDogScout would one of you guys please measure the wall thickness on the collapsing stove? If you can't get it precise that's ok, just as close as you can. I'm trying to determine how stiff the wall would be for heavier-larger pots....

Bushman5 and BlueDogScout like this.
  19. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

I’ll measure in the morning. If bushy doesn’t beat me to it. It will hold my 1.8 liter bushpot full. I can test some cast iron on it

20. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

@anrkst6973 So I can’t speak to the titanium one that bushy has but the steel one I have is 1/16” thick stainless. (I do not know the grade) let me tell ya this thing is stout....

9241C634-7844-4167-B975-8874F4DA24A0.jpeg

Started with the 1.8 liter bushpot full

1B7A35E3-8243-4D70-90BE-A975DC751885.jpeg
    CFE47C74-C886-453C-BDAD-4C4E0AAEF915.jpeg

Not satisfied I grabbed my 17” cast iron skillet...

28636A1D-2331-4E1F-9638-1E3A527CB607.jpeg

FA6C70F6-CAFA-4C0D-B12E-735015FBAE63.jpeg

I then proceeded to fill it with water it took 4 bushpots (7.2 liters total)

F495F761-FEC4-43FE-A7F0-B08DC50006AF.jpeg

F1A5E710-A3B5-407A-A83A-7772EBF2CF2E.jpeg

Solid as a rock...

Bushman5 and anrkst6973 like this.